New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Superdrive Failure.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

Hi all,
I recently started to have problems burning disks. i was losing about 20% to sense errors, etc. I looked around, and decided from various forums i read that i should clean my disk drive. Since running a cleaning disk I now have 100% burn failure, and my data disks no longer register at all, they just open in the finder as a blank burn disk, ready for burning. Toast disk info, says my disks are blank, which they are not. I've run the cleaning disk 3 or 4 times now, to no avail.
I tried a bought DVD and it played fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sim
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbad54 View Post
Hi all,
I recently started to have problems burning disks. i was losing about 20% to sense errors, etc. I looked around, and decided from various forums i read that i should clean my disk drive. Since running a cleaning disk I now have 100% burn failure, and my data disks no longer register at all, they just open in the finder as a blank burn disk, ready for burning. Toast disk info, says my disks are blank, which they are not. I've run the cleaning disk 3 or 4 times now, to no avail.
I tried a bought DVD and it played fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sim
Sounds like faulty hardware to me. As mechanical drives age, they begin to fail with regular usage. You might want to consider buying a replacement Superdrive from ifixit.com or purchase an external CD/DVD burner.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I've hardly burn't many disks in the 16 months i've had the iMac. I'm also surprised it went from burning some disks to complete failure after using a cleaning disk. If i buy a new superdrive, can I install it myself? These i macs don't look very customisable. cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

I've just checked ifixit.com and there's nothing about G5 iMac's there at all, nor any Superdrives for sale! Confused...
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

contact apple and see if you can get a superdrive and install it yourself. they will say no but just ask about the putting it in yourself bit

or check this out

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/p...roducts_id=405
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Thanks christm. I am some what nervous about buying a new drive whilst not knowing for sure that mine is broken. I can't understand why it failed completely to burn or read writable discs after something as non invasive as cleaning it with a disc? It doesn't make sense? It's a shame that the Apple Hard ware test doesn't check the Superdrive as well. Is there perhaps some way of running a diagnostic? A big problem is I live in Paris, and although there is an apple maintenance store on my street,(big bonus) my French isn't great, esp for discussing Computers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is a Mac Mini suitable for my use? | No Boot »