New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Better sound out of the Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

suntoryjim

suntoryjim is on a distinguished road

I love my Mini, but the sound quality leaves much to be desired, so I got myself a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB soundcard, plugged it in, and wow, what a difference! At less than $30 ($25 at BestBuy) and incredible sound without added bulk to spoil the Mini's signature form-factor, I highly recommend this as an essential Mini upgrade.

1.66 Mac Mini 2G RAM
2.0 Macbook Black 2G RAM
16GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

What speakers are you using?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
suntoryjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
What speakers are you using?
Bose Companion 2.

1.66 Mac Mini 2G RAM
2.0 Macbook Black 2G RAM
16GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Read some of the reviews for that thing...
How can it turn a two speaker laptop into surround-sound theatre.
No $30 product could do that. Two, you can hook a Bose speaker system into a mini and it will sound just as good without the dongle thingie.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
suntoryjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
Read some of the reviews for that thing...
How can it turn a two speaker laptop into surround-sound theatre.
No $30 product could do that. Two, you can hook a Bose speaker system into a mini and it will sound just as good without the dongle thingie.
Bryan
The virtual surround this USB card is capable of is only supported in Windows with it's provided driver and software. No such support with the Mac.

The built-in sound output on my Mini is horrible...the level is so low that it's useless if not cranked to maximum, and at that level, there is a high-pitched hiss sound at idle. With the USB sound, the level is strong with absolutely no noise.

1.66 Mac Mini 2G RAM
2.0 Macbook Black 2G RAM
16GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Someone asked this, What Speakers are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntoryjim View Post
The virtual surround this USB card is capable of is only supported in Windows with it's provided driver and software. No such support with the Mac.

The built-in sound output on my Mini is horrible...the level is so low that it's useless if not cranked to maximum, and at that level, there is a high-pitched hiss sound at idle. With the USB sound, the level is strong with absolutely no noise.
So, it really only works on Windows machines...
I would get your Mini checked out if that's the problem. I've hooked up G3 machines to my 5.1 Sony surround sound stereo system for my TV and the clarity was pretty mind blowing. I doubt Apple's sound quality would be worse over two generations of computer models.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
suntoryjim

Quote:
So, it really only works on Windows machines...
I would get your Mini checked out if that's the problem. I've hooked up G3 machines to my 5.1 Sony surround sound stereo system for my TV and the clarity was pretty mind blowing. I doubt Apple's sound quality would be worse over two generations of computer models.
Bryan
Both of my Intel Macs (Mini and Macbook) exhibit poor audio output (poor sound and weak level) from the headphone jacks. It must have something to do with the onboard Intel sound chip.

1.66 Mac Mini 2G RAM
2.0 Macbook Black 2G RAM
16GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I had a core duo Macbook and now have a core duo iMac and haven't had a problem with either.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
mbgaski

mbgaski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I doubt Apple's sound quality would be worse over two generations of computer models.
Bryan
Well my sampling of Mac's is limited, but on just about everything else the sound quality has certainly gone down. A couple generations ago companies used dedicated sound cards. SB Live, TB Santa Cruz, etc. They now use integrated stuff that is part of the main mobo chipset that, more often than not, sounds like crap. This is just one area where technology as already more than enough to handle user's demands a good number of years ago, but now we're seeing a decline in the quality due to cost cutting (again, most of my experience is PC-related, but Apple is largely PC hardware-wise now anyways).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac card and pc card running simultaneously | iMac Remote »