New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - GTR 2 on iMac 20" -- Will it work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beach_bum

beach_bum is on a distinguished road

Hello all. Newb here with a question. First let me say, I've been using Macs since my college days and I love them.

I'm looking to upgrade my current iMac to the new core duo 20". I'm not at all familiar with how the new systems work with Windows Apps so I was wondering if anyone had successfully installed and played the game GTR 2 on their Intel iMac. Below are the specs for the iMac and the recommended requirements for the GTR 2 game.

iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

GTR 2 Recommended Requirements:
DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with 256MB memory and DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I had to look up what the game is you are asking about. It's a racing game right?
Anyways, that's the same model I have. I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem. I had the settings all at max or close to it and it worked well. It wasn't sluggish at all. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem running the game.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
beach_bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I had to look up what the game is you are asking about. It's a racing game right?
Anyways, that's the same model I have. I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem. I had the settings all at max or close to it and it worked well. It wasn't sluggish at all. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem running the game.
Bryan
Thanks Bryan. Yes, GTR 2 is a racing game, guess I should have mentioned that in my initial post.

Here's a clip for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwIzbSG4MrQ
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It should be fine, as long as the min specs are for a 126Mb graphics card.

Quote:
I have the RAM maxed to 2GB though. I've run Need For Speed Carbon on it through Windows without a problem.
You're doing better than me. On my PC, it was fine until it suddenly wouldn't open nine times out of ten. The screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop. Then I eventually got it to start and it said my save game was corrupt.
It's gone on ebay now. Apparently a lot of people are having the crashing to the desktop problem - it was rushed out for Christmas and is buggy.
QUOTE Thanks
beach_bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
You're doing better than me. On my PC, it was fine until it suddenly wouldn't open nine times out of ten. The screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop. Then I eventually got it to start and it said my save game was corrupt.
It's gone on ebay now. Apparently a lot of people are having the crashing to the desktop problem - it was rushed out for Christmas and is buggy.
Uh oh, are you talking about the 2.0 Ghz or the 2.16 Ghz?

I'm already having sleep issues with my 17" G5 1.67 Ghz so I'd rather not deal with any issues on a new one.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Sorry, I mean on my PC, not Mac, at home.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why powermac? | Upgrading R.A.M »