New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

copying mac hd's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zamball

Has any one copied a G4 HD that is usable? I tried using carbon copy but it gave me kernel errors and it would not be seen as a bootable drive even after i chceked the box for it. Is there any way to do it using disk utility or drive copy?

thanks
mike
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Simple copies don't work as you know, but Disk images do, it has to be done carefully
QUOTE Thanks
zamball

how do I do a disk image with out errors? I get lots of errors when the drive is almost done? I believe one was a kernal error and the rest are installed software errors.

Thanks
Mike
QUOTE Thanks
zamball

what about carbon copy? that is the software i get errors in towards the end. The disk image always crashes when I scroll up or down on the page or even open any thing on it.
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Simple copies don't work as you know, but Disk images do, it has to be done carefully
Try http://www.tri-edre.com/english/cloner.html it works pretty well.

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

My bro has successfuly made a bootable disk image -- I'll e-mail him for the steps he used
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Disk images in OS X aren't bootable except using some complex methods over a network. What you really want to do is to partition an external Firewire drive and simply clone the OS to one of the partitions (such that you still have another partition for more permanent data. You will want to periodically clone the OS for backup purposes, but in the process the partition hosting the backed up OS is erased in its entirety.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Opinion about sick iMac | G4 Rip »