New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Mac Mini or iMac? What's better for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iSleep

iSleep is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=yogi;391841]
- People who don't spend more than an hour a day on their computer
/QUOTE]

Why is that?
QUOTE Thanks
Kasumi

Kasumi is on a distinguished road

No you do not need to use Apple products. I have a view sonic monitor and a windows wireless keyboard and mouse connected to mines.

I do not understand why you guys are telling him to go for an iMac when all he wants to do is store his music and ( maybe have a music player type setup?). It seems blatantly obvious that the mac mini is good for this. iMac would be good if he wanted to do more like word documents, internet, games .etc.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Depends, some people have iPods with as much storage as a Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
iSleep

I'm just going to bundle up the rest of my questions here.

-Is it safe to leave your Mac Mini running all day, and just shut it off at night, reboot in the morning/afternoon? I use my current computer quite a bit.

-Is 512mb of ram good enough to store/listen to my music and use the internet? That's really all I want out of my Mac. I'll likely never use apps like iMovie, and Garageband.

-Are the Minis more prone(then other Macs) to just crashing or not turning on one day or just gettting fryed internally or whatever else that's bad that could happen?

-How many years do you think I could get out of it if I take good care of it (which I will)?

-Are Mac minis available in Canada, if not, will they ship to Canada? (Sounds stupid I know, just making sure)
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSleep View Post

-Is it safe to leave your Mac Mini running all day, and just shut it off at night, reboot in the morning/afternoon? I use my current computer quite a bit.

-Is 512mb of ram good enough to store/listen to my music and use the internet? That's really all I want out of my Mac. I'll likely never use apps like iMovie, and Garageband.

-Are the Minis more prone(then other Macs) to just crashing or not turning on one day or just gettting fryed internally or whatever else that's bad that could happen?

-How many years do you think I could get out of it if I take good care of it (which I will)?
Well to answer some of ur questions:

1. Yes it is safe to leave it on all day long, it wouldn't cause any issues. Mac OS X is built on Unix which make it stable and believe it or not it actually doesn't need shut down, a reboot will make it a happy camper.

2. How prone are the minis to crashing and all this stuff?! Well I don't have first hand experience, I am a recent switcher and I have a MacBook. But again Apple is infamous and notorious for paying attention to system stability, so I really doubt that they are prone to crashing or any of the other stuff u mentioned.

3. Unfortunately I can't answer the question of how long it will last, like I said I am a recent switcher with about 3 weeks of experience with Macs. But I have heard of folks out there that are still using their Macs 5+ years and loving it, so that should give u a clue.

Hope that helped

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
iSleep

Are Mac minis available in Canada, if not, will they ship to Canada? (Sounds stupid I know, just making sure)
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Yeah man, I think they will ship worldwide just to confirm u can go online and click on the Chat Now from the Apple Online Store and they'll be able to give u more accurate info.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSleep View Post

-Are Mac minis available in Canada, if not, will they ship to Canada? (Sounds stupid I know, just making sure)
The Mac will sleep after a while, they wake up really fast.

512MB will be fine, with 1GB it will be faster though.

Mini's aren't more crash prone.

As for lifespan, the hard disk is the weak part, laptop drives don't last as long as normal hard disks. You should get 2 years of trouble free use out of it minimum.
QUOTE Thanks
Kasumi

Kasumi is on a distinguished road

I leave mines asleep all the time no problems

Yes 512 would be fine

I never had a problem with it crashing

If you live near the border or will be going to the US it would be better buy since it would be cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick memory question | G4 Mdd Psu Fans Replacement?? »