New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro has odor problem.

Thread Closed

macpower

macpower is on a distinguished road

My Mac Pro is about a month old and my power supply unit has been changed twice because it smells like bad perfume when it's running. It really stinks. Does anyone else have this problem.
When this was discussed on Apple's forum the thread was locked and some of the messages were erased because there was talk of posssible harmful fumes.
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

if there is talk about possible harmful fumes, I would call apple right away and have them replace your power unit. From what I have heard you are the first person to have this problem, but i don't read the apple forums.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
macpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
if there is talk about possible harmful fumes, I would call apple right away and have them replace your power unit. From what I have heard you are the first person to have this problem, but i don't read the apple forums.
Actually 3 more Mac Pros that were set up by the same retailer had the same smell. Changing the power supply unit didn't correct the problem. All the new psu's smell.
After a while even the tech who worked on it wanted it out of his shop.
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

have you been to an apple store yet and talked to a "genius"? This would be your best bet in my opinion.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
macpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
have you been to an apple store yet and talked to a "genius"? This would be your best bet in my opinion.
Yep I did and the Genius said bad smells are cosmetic and I would have to pay for the psu change out. When I called Apple and told them what this genius said they appologized for his mistake. They are working with me to try and solve the problem. I'm having the work done at a factory authoized repair
dealer where I bought the unit.
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Have you tried using a different outlet? I know it sounds stupid, but I have had instances where a PC would be unstable on certain power outlets because the power wasn't smooth, or not enough, or whatever.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
macpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB8HaVeN View Post
Have you tried using a different outlet? I know it sounds stupid, but I have had instances where a PC would be unstable on certain power outlets because the power wasn't smooth, or not enough, or whatever.
Good thought but I've had on three different circuits. In fact the retailer had the same odors on 3 different machines at his shop.
walt60

walt60 is on a distinguished road

yes my Mac Pro really stinks too. I directed an external fan on my mac so the smell go in another direction, but it's really annoying. I thought it's gonna go away but after more then 2 month it's still smell bad that I can't stand it without using a fan.
Also I'm new to Mac and this machine give me a lot of disappointments
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Seems to be a smell in my room as a result of the Mac Pro. It's not that bad, certainly isn't a faulty smell.
macpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt60 View Post
yes my Mac Pro really stinks too. I directed an external fan on my mac so the smell go in another direction, but it's really annoying. I thought it's gonna go away but after more then 2 month it's still smell bad that I can't stand it without using a fan.
Also I'm new to Mac and this machine give me a lot of disappointments
The smell is a pungent sweet odor sort of like some cheap heavy perfume. It's coming from top left hand side in the back (power suppy area). It's the strongest when you first turn it on. If any body wants the guy's name and number I'm working with at Apple let me know. He seems to be interested in getting it fixed.
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Our Mac Mini smells. But it's more like a rubber crossed with new car :-)
slashd0t

slashd0t is an unknown at this point

This is strange.. My wife brought home two iBooks from work (she's a teacher) because she is building some multimedia stuff with the students and both iBooks just stink!! I keep bugging her about it because I thought it may have been from where they are being stored or something. But the smell is the same as described here.. It almost smells like a mix between body odor and cheap perfume.. Really hard to describe, but, it stinks up the entire house when she turns them on!
Thorin

Thorin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb

If the odor is as nasty as it sounds, I suspect that an electrolytic capacitor or a transformer in the power supply is failing.
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

TROLL ALERT... but seriously, call Apple and get a replacement if need be.

"Luck favors the prepared"
apple

apple is on a distinguished road

You could whisper "take a shower" to it. LOL.

Never heard of a smelly computer, maybe she's trying to impress you.

Thread Closed

« disc drive problem | Calling all AL iMac users! - High pitched squeal? »