New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Questions about iMac


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
A few questions regarding iMac here.

Our family computer recently crashed and since iMac's can now run Windows and Mac OS X, I'm trying to convince my family to switch to an iMac. It's just beneficial in so many ways. You can use Mac OS X for any word processing, IM, web browsing and stuff and not have to worry about viruses as intently as on Windows. But at the same time, the computer game library that my family has connected over the years can continue to be used running Windows on Bootcamp. I'm trying to convince my parents but obviously have a few questions.

I've read a few reports here and there that Apple is possibly launching new iMac's in the near future (presumably to include Leopard). Is there any date or confirmed information for this? I mean, my family needs a computer right away and can't wait for a new set of computers in October, but if there's legitimate sources saying that a new iMac is coming soon, my family could hold off a few weeks.

And is there any deal going on with Apple where if we buy an iMac now we can get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released? (Similar to how Dell and some other companies offered free upgrades to Vista if they bought a new computer during a certain timeframe?)
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

 
RiDE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 13, 2006
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas!
Posts: 3,559
RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

RiDE is offline
No one knows when Leopard will be released...

If you buy an iMac and Leopard is then released WITHIN 2 weeks of your order... you will get a free upgrade from Apple...

The truth is... coming from Windows... the current version "Tiger" will blow your mind.
When Leopard is released... the cost to upgrade will most likely be around $150... So not too bad.

Jump in.... the water is great! Or... is this KoolAid?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk_000 View Post
A few questions regarding iMac here.

Our family computer recently crashed and since iMac's can now run Windows and Mac OS X, I'm trying to convince my family to switch to an iMac. It's just beneficial in so many ways. You can use Mac OS X for any word processing, IM, web browsing and stuff and not have to worry about viruses as intently as on Windows. But at the same time, the computer game library that my family has connected over the years can continue to be used running Windows on Bootcamp. I'm trying to convince my parents but obviously have a few questions.

I've read a few reports here and there that Apple is possibly launching new iMac's in the near future (presumably to include Leopard). Is there any date or confirmed information for this? I mean, my family needs a computer right away and can't wait for a new set of computers in October, but if there's legitimate sources saying that a new iMac is coming soon, my family could hold off a few weeks.
Apple is very secretive about release dates. Any statement from anyone besides Apple is mere speculation. The current iMac is a fine machine and there's nothing wrong with Tiger, which is already far beyond Vista. Apple doesn't reinvent the wheel with subsequent releases of OS X, it merely evolves. So, unless there's some killer feature that draws you to Leopard, I wouldn't worry about it.


Quote:
And is there any deal going on with Apple where if we buy an iMac now we can get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released? (Similar to how Dell and some other companies offered free upgrades to Vista if they bought a new computer during a certain timeframe?)
It's been said that Apple offers free upgrades to its newest operating system if you purchase a new Mac just a month or two before the release. Whether that will be true with Leopard is anyone's guess.

Furthermore, historically, Apple charges $129 for the OS. So, it's not terribly expensive if you want to upgrade and upgrades to OS X are extremely straightforward from what I've heard.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
Thanks guys! The one feature on Leopard that has really grabbed me is Spaces...I could totally use that to my advantage. (But at the same time, I would probably rarely use the family computer since I have my own laptop that I use most of the time. Sadly, it's not a mac...but I hope to change that in the next couple of years when I have some extra cash to invest into one. Most of my budget revolves around university costs right now).
QUOTE Thanks
christm

 
christm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 18, 2005
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 2,295
christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

christm is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
No one knows when Leopard will be released...

If you buy an iMac and Leopard is then released WITHIN 2 weeks of your order... you will get a free upgrade from Apple...
learn something everyday.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk_000 View Post
Thanks guys! The one feature on Leopard that has really grabbed me is Spaces...I could totally use that to my advantage. (But at the same time, I would probably rarely use the family computer since I have my own laptop that I use most of the time. Sadly, it's not a mac...but I hope to change that in the next couple of years when I have some extra cash to invest into one. Most of my budget revolves around university costs right now).
VirtueDesktops does the same thing as Spaces, just in case you do happen to upgrade now.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
^^That's very helpful! Thanks!

We priced out both a Dell and iMac. It's going to cost roughly $250 more for the iMac. And we'd have to purchase a copy of XP SP2 for some of the games that my dad/brothers own, plus Microsoft Office for Mac. So, I just need to convince my parents that it will be worth the extra costs...
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

 
RiDE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 13, 2006
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas!
Posts: 3,559
RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

RiDE is offline
If you are a student... Check your Univ. Bookstore... Usually you can get Office for Mac for $5 or $10... that 's five or ten dollars (NOT a typo)

When looking at the Dell vs. iMac costs.... consider the MASSIVE amount of software that is included with the iMac.... The built-in iSight, the ENTIRE system built-in to the monitor... SOOOOO clean!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk_000 View Post
^^That's very helpful! Thanks!

We priced out both a Dell and iMac. It's going to cost roughly $250 more for the iMac. And we'd have to purchase a copy of XP SP2 for some of the games that my dad/brothers own, plus Microsoft Office for Mac. So, I just need to convince my parents that it will be worth the extra costs...
Do consider the cost of security and anti-virus/spyware software for the PC that you won't need to purchase for the Mac as well.

By the way, VirtueDesktops development has been abandoned (mostly due to the inevitability of Spaces), but it still rocks. I haven't had any trouble with it at all - and there are a ton of features.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
LOL...our University bookstore sold Office for $99 on sale the other day. (That's Canadian, btw). But I can probably pick it up for a discount price there. I can get the iMac itself for a discount when I use my Student ID on the Apple website, so that's good.

You've been a great help everyone! I'll have to work on my parents when they get back from their trip early next week.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

 
giulio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 19, 2007
Location: NY USA
Posts: 1,813
giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

giulio is offline
I believe that a new mac with a new hard drive and new OS will run better than an older mac that has been upgraded. The files are in the right place on the hard drive for optimum performance, the "hot band" (or something like that).

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
I'm assuming that the iMac has a speaker plug in right? We've got a nice set of speakers that we'd like to keep using if we could.
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

 
Member Since: May 04, 2007
Posts: 41
aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

aaronk_000 is offline
Never mind...I just found my answer on the Apple website.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Is it important to match manufacturers ... | Considering Mac Mini.. questions. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bought the original iMac, have a couple questions. k__ Apple Desktops 5 08-02-2008 11:36 PM
Re: Questions from new iMac switcher astrovault Switcher Hangout 11 03-10-2006 12:21 AM
couple of questions about the imac pobed456 Apple Desktops 8 05-15-2005 12:09 AM
Gettin iMac 20", and some questions iEddy Switcher Hangout 3 12-21-2004 08:31 PM
A few hardware / technical questions about the imac g5 / osx vineswingman Apple Desktops 5 11-25-2004 12:20 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?