New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - I opened my Mac Pro and was disappointed...

Thread Closed

CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

So, I opened up my Mac Pro to take a look inside. Beautiful. I wanted to check out the hard drive, so I pulled out the carrier, and was shocked at what I saw....

Western Digital.

I will be selling this drive on eBay ASAP and buying a Seagate. Shame on Apple for not going with Seagate for their storage.

Quick question: is the data transfer process as simple as this: buy a Seagate drive, pop it into bay 2, clone (via SuperDuper) from the Western Digital to the Seagate, then remove the Western Digital and put the Seagate in bay 1? The WD drive has two partitions, Mac & Windows. Can both of those be moved over?
Thorin

Thorin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb

I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital. I don't understand your concern at all. If you must though, I like Carbon Copy Cloner. Works great, I do semi-annual cloning to keep me safe.
CaptSaltyJack

My personal experience is limited to Maxtor and Seagate. Maxtor has been iffy, Seagate has been rock solid. I've heard horror stories about WD, though, so I'd rather not take the chance.
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital.
I would have to agree here. I have never had a single problem with any WD drive I had.
Seagate... well, 9 out of the 11 Seagate drives I had failed after only a year for each one. Suspiciously, not long after the warranty period.
In fact, I still have a Windows box running on the very first HD I ever bought... an 8 GB Western Digital.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

thermidor

thermidor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB

I swapped a faultless Western Digital for a faster, larger Seagate and had to replace the Seagate under warranty. I think you're being paranoid about WD and a bit unreasonable to Apple. You can't expect Apple to build your laptop to your own random preferences.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Western Digital is a very good drive. In my line of work I have seen every brand fail over the years including some older WD's, but of the name brands I have seen more Maxtor's fail. Also seen lots of problems with some Samsung's. Western Digital and Seagate have been the MOST reliable of all I have seen or used. No real problems with either brand here in my own systems.

I had 2 Samsung 80GB drives fail their S.M.A.R.T status within the first 3-4 months! Then they started going SLOW as can be, like they were running in ATA33 instead of ATA100 yet their utility said they were in ATA100.
CaptSaltyJack

Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.
I would agree. I tend to view WD and Seagate as premium brands, worth paying more for. In my experience they are both more reliable, quieter and faster peforming than most of the competition.

I agree as well on Maxtor. I have had more than my fair share of Maxtor's die under my feet over the years. I now avoid them like the plague.

The WD in your Mac Pro will serve you well! Enjoy it!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
CaptSaltyJack

Thanks for putting up with my pickiness
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Haha, I have a nice 7200 RPM WD drive in my PC, very reliable and quick
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

June 2007
July 2009
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i only buy WD
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Just had a look....mine has a Fujitsu....?
I have used Seagate WD Samsung drives in the past...no real problems spring to mind.
I have a 160gb Maxtor SATA in and external drive for bckup etc at the moment. Its over 12months old. Works fine, although it is a bit noisy when the head reader moves around.
Ithink alot to do with it is how you treat them. Bump them when running, allow too much dust in the encasing, and not do regular derfags etc probably contribute to the life expectancy of HDD's.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Toshiba in my MacBook - nice and quiet, very nice HD
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

Its been almost a year and a half since the acquisition. Maxtor and Seagate should have the same quality.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Thread Closed

« B+W rev1 G3 IDE issues - solution? | Wish me Luck! »