Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I opened my Mac Pro and was disappointed...
    So, I opened up my Mac Pro to take a look inside. Beautiful. I wanted to check out the hard drive, so I pulled out the carrier, and was shocked at what I saw....

Western Digital.

I will be selling this drive on eBay ASAP and buying a Seagate. Shame on Apple for not going with Seagate for their storage.

Quick question: is the data transfer process as simple as this: buy a Seagate drive, pop it into bay 2, clone (via SuperDuper) from the Western Digital to the Seagate, then remove the Western Digital and put the Seagate in bay 1? The WD drive has two partitions, Mac & Windows. Can both of those be moved over?

Specs:
    PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
    I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital. I don't understand your concern at all. If you must though, I like Carbon Copy Cloner. Works great, I do semi-annual cloning to keep me safe.

My personal experience is limited to Maxtor and Seagate. Maxtor has been iffy, Seagate has been rock solid. I've heard horror stories about WD, though, so I'd rather not take the chance.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
    I have dealt with literally thousands of hard drives. I have had WAY more trouble w/ Seagate than Western Digital.
    I would have to agree here. I have never had a single problem with any WD drive I had.
    Seagate... well, 9 out of the 11 Seagate drives I had failed after only a year for each one. Suspiciously, not long after the warranty period.
    In fact, I still have a Windows box running on the very first HD I ever bought... an 8 GB Western Digital.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
    I swapped a faultless Western Digital for a faster, larger Seagate and had to replace the Seagate under warranty. I think you're being paranoid about WD and a bit unreasonable to Apple. You can't expect Apple to build your laptop to your own random preferences.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Western Digital is a very good drive. In my line of work I have seen every brand fail over the years including some older WD's, but of the name brands I have seen more Maxtor's fail. Also seen lots of problems with some Samsung's. Western Digital and Seagate have been the MOST reliable of all I have seen or used. No real problems with either brand here in my own systems.

I had 2 Samsung 80GB drives fail their S.M.A.R.T status within the first 3-4 months! Then they started going SLOW as can be, like they were running in ATA33 instead of ATA100 yet their utility said they were in ATA100.

Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Hmm.. ok then. I could've sworn WD had issues, but I've been doing some searching and it seems they're fine. Maxtor is definitely one to avoid.
    I would agree. I tend to view WD and Seagate as premium brands, worth paying more for. In my experience they are both more reliable, quieter and faster peforming than most of the competition.

I agree as well on Maxtor. I have had more than my fair share of Maxtor's die under my feet over the years. I now avoid them like the plague.

The WD in your Mac Pro will serve you well! Enjoy it!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thanks for putting up with my pickiness

Specs:
    PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
    Haha, I have a nice 7200 RPM WD drive in my PC, very reliable and quick

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    i only buy WD
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Just had a look....mine has a Fujitsu....?
    I have used Seagate WD Samsung drives in the past...no real problems spring to mind.
    I have a 160gb Maxtor SATA in and external drive for bckup etc at the moment. Its over 12months old. Works fine, although it is a bit noisy when the head reader moves around.
    Ithink alot to do with it is how you treat them. Bump them when running, allow too much dust in the encasing, and not do regular derfags etc probably contribute to the life expectancy of HDD's.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Specs:
    PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
    Toshiba in my MacBook - nice and quiet, very nice HD

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Actually, Maxtor's quality should be going up as well since Seagate bought them a while back.

Its been almost a year and a half since the acquisition. Maxtor and Seagate should have the same quality.
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Thread Information