New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Indigo Imac, Please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

web474

web474 is on a distinguished road

I have and old Imac that I bought in 2000. (Indigo blue) Running os 9.0.4
Is there anyway I can make this machine faster. Atleast to go online with?

WEB474 Graphics for All your full color printing. a division of www.tusabe.com/ tusabe mediahttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/smilies/Oneye.png
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

What is the processor speed?
Cheapest way, upgrade the RAM and hard drive. More RAM will make more things run more efficiently and a larger HD that is 7200 will help make things run faster because it takes less time to access info.
The more expensive way, upgrade the entire logic board.
Both ways will not lead to much benefit. It will help but it won't be super fast.
Bryan
You should be able to online with it. Internet Explorer should already be installed.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
web474

web474 is on a distinguished road

is it expensive to upgrade HD? I believe the ram is 192, do you know how much ram it can take? (ram meaning memory chip?)

WEB474 Graphics for All your full color printing. a division of www.tusabe.com/ tusabe mediahttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/images/smilies/Oneye.png
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

If it's one of the 333 (or faster) Mhz imacs I suggest maxing out the ram, 512 MB I think that would and upgrade to 9.2.2, then upgrade the furmware if needed, then upgrade to OS 10.3.9 And give the entire machine a clean with Onyx. And actually for general internet surfing etc that machine would be quite adequate. Just a note, installing 10.3 will take ages. But it's worth it, as it rums on the machine quite ok. And relatively fast. Well for a machine of it's age.

If it's only a 266 Mhz then do the same as above. But only upgrade to OS 10.2.8 And that works just fine that way. But most applications don't support 10.2 anymore. Still it's better nothing.

And for either flavour you have (I'm not sure which) a bigger and faster hard drive as stated above would be nice. But not essential. My old 333mhz imac had 80 GB on it and I had it about 2/3 filled.

And one thing I've noticed about macs in general. Is you can rum applications on a machine a little below the minimum specs a software requires. Sure it's not optimal running sometimes. But the app works. And that's what I've always liked about macs.

And all the info you'd ever want or need about your mac (or any other) like how much memory to can have or the newest OS it can handle etc can all be found in an app called Mactracker.

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

And for going online, Sarafi and Firefox should work work just fine on that machine. But any kind of online video (eg youtube) might be a little show though. Apart from that it works fune.
QUOTE Thanks
rollershoer4MAC

rollershoer4MAC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|

Ok heres an article on upgrading an iMac G3 from lowendmac ..... http://lowendmac.com/macdan/03/0307ek.html

iBook G3, 800 MHz, Combo Drive, 256MB Ram, 30GB, Airport Card...For Sale! Here.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

you can probably find an iMac g4 on ebay for about $400...about the same as upgradin ur old imac, plus u get a flat screen!

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

I was just going to say what narf did... but he beat me to it...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering Mac Mini.. questions. | MacPro's annoying humming noise »