New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Urgent Help Needed!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac Apple

URGENT HELP!

I placed a vcd into my imac. It wouldnt read the cd and the cd didnt appear in panthers finder window. It slowed my sytem right down so I shut it down.

Now when i try and boot it only gets to the grey apple loading screen. I can hear the cd drive trying to read the cd but as it cannot read it my system wont start up.

How can I get the cd drive to open without taking the mac appart. I have tried holding down eject on start up and I read on another site that you can hold down the left mouse button to eject but it doesnt work!

I need to work asap so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Figers crossed. cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Taken from Mac Help:

Ejecting a disc when all else fails

If you've tried all the usual methods of ejecting a CD or DVD disc from your computer's optical drive (click "Tell me more" if you're not sure), there are some manual methods you can try.

First, quit all applications that are using files on the disc. Then try one of these alternate methods:

Choose Apple menu > Restart and hold the mouse key down until the disc ejects.
Put the computer to sleep (using the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences) and insert a large, straightened paper clip in the small emergency eject hole of the drive (the location varies, depending on the drive). Push firmly until the disc ejects.

Use Open Firmware to eject the disc if all other methods fail (this may not work on all computers). To use this method, you have to start up and briefly use the computer using Open Firmware, not the standard Mac OS X desktop. This is a simple procedure-try it if you're feeling adventurous.

To eject a disc using Open Firmware:

Restart the computer.
When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys. (The Command key has an Apple on it.)
Release the keys when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware."
At the prompt, type:

eject cd

Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc, and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
Type:

mac-boot

Press Return.

Your computer starts up normally and you see the familiar Mac OS X desktop.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac wont swtich on | Messanger And Safari »