New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Can't install OS 9 or OS X on my cube

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dragonfly

Dragonfly is on a distinguished road

'lo all,

Right, it goes like this. A friend gave me his G4 PowerMac Cube 450Mhz which has Ubuntu Linux installed... :confused: I have the original "Software Install" disks from my normal G4 PowerMac and and an OSX 10.1 upgrade cd. Thinking that both the G4 and Cube G4 are PowerMacs, I tried booting the cube with the Software Install cd in and holding down c, but to no luck at all. Will a retail pack OSX do the trick or is there something else that i need to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The original pre-OS X install disks (including 9) had "enablers" for the specific machines they came with. OS X kept up the tradition that forces the purchase of generic installers.
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonfly

So, basically I need to get the original install disks for the cube.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
So, basically I need to get the original install disks for the cube.
No, get the generic installer and if you want OS 9, that generic installer, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Just a thought. Maybe OS 9 on the G4 install disks is generic because of the dual-boot Classic business that Apple was selling at the time of the switchover to X. It might load on its own.
QUOTE Thanks
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Just a thought. Maybe OS 9 on the G4 install disks is generic because of the dual-boot Classic business that Apple was selling at the time of the switchover to X. It might load on its own.
I've tried the powermac and imac G4 install disks, no luck. I'll get a generic install cd off ebay and try again.

Thanks for the help :batman:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange noise coming from new Imac | Very odd and annoying Mac Mini firewire error »