New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - I took the plunge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

And got a Mac Pro. I set it up last night downloading all the updates and re installing my software. One thing that i am a little confused is what do i need to do to make it wireless? I checked the apple site and I found the airport card, but it looks really small and i'm not sure if that will fit in the Mac Pro. Can someone let me know what i need to get a wireless card in it?
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

They look like this:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...08/airmac2.jpg

They look like a custom slot design, they don't fit into PCI or PCI express.

There will be a slot hidden away in the Pro somewhere.

Update:

Actually this is apparently the Mac Pro version:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...Rb0H6heAI2BM90
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It looks like it is soldered straight on the motherboard, as with the iMac.

Does it not say AirPort in your network settings? It should say 'Airport is turned on but not connected to any network'.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
I checked the apple site and I found the airport card, but it looks really small and i'm not sure if that will fit in the Mac Pro.
It does, because it's already there.
Quote:
Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11g standard; 802.11n capable with optional 802.11n enabler)(2)
The optional 802.11n enabler costs $4.99 — or something — to enable it, thanks to the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
It does, because it's already there.The optional 802.11n enabler costs $4.99 or something to enable it, thanks to the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
That is for the MacBook Pro. I have the Mac Pro (Desktop)
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
It looks like it is soldered straight on the motherboard, as with the iMac.

Does it not say AirPort in your network settings? It should say 'Airport is turned on but not connected to any network'.
No. The only thing i get is the LAN (Built in ethernet).

Remember, I have the Desktop (Mac Pro) not Laptop (MacBook Pro)
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Mac Pro doesn't have built in WiFi?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Mac Pro doesn't have built in WiFi?
When i look at the configuration options on apple.com it says airport extreme. But I got mine refurbished so it never asked me if i wanted to add it. When i was looking to find out what i needed to make it wireless (without buying an external USB) I found THIS but I dont know if it will work in my Mac Pro, or where to put it. It looks tiny.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

No, it does not come standard its an add on...as it was when I bought the powermac.

In the configuration it says its available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
About AirPort Extreme
Use AirPort Extreme in your Mac Pro to join a wireless network, or share your network connection wirelessly with another computer. You can even stream music from iTunes to your stereo using an AirPort Express base station.

AirPort Extreme is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification and offers up to five times the performance and twice the range of 802.11g wireless networks. AirPort Extreme allows your AirPort Extreme-enabled Mac Pro to communicate with local AirPort Extreme networks or with other Wi-Fi certified 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g networks, including earlier versions of Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station and the AirPort Express Base Station.

Notes:
Wireless Internet access requires a wireless-enabled computer, a base station or other access point, and Internet access (fees may apply). Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort and AirPort Extreme.

Performance is based on a comparison with Apple's 802.11g products. Comparison assumes AirPort Extreme network with 802.11n-enabled computer. Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network. Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort- or AirPort Extreme-enabled computer or other Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g-enabled computer. Actual performance will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network, and other factors. Range will vary with site conditions.
Does not specify the part number, does the manual give an optional part number?

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I called Apple and they told me that the one i mentioned in my previous post is the one I need. So now i will be looking at the manual to find out where to put it.
QUOTE Thanks
nextiger

nextiger is on a distinguished road

Why would you need wireless internet on this thing....plan on lugging it around anytime soon. Id rather hook it up directly and get much higher speeds.
QUOTE Thanks
alican

alican is on a distinguished road

Exactly. The only point i can see of having it wireless enabled is if you were unable to position it conviently near a telephone outlet.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alican View Post
Exactly. The only point i can see of having it wireless enabled is if you were unable to position it conviently near a telephone outlet.
I don't connect via dialup so i dont need a telephone outlet. Where my cable modem and switch is located is to far away for me to run a cable. I could run a cable but i would need to run it past the front door and the carpet i have sucks and i can tuck it underneath (the joys of renting). I wont be lugging around the Mac Pro but the wireless is more convienent and less messy. since i dont do gaming on it i dont need a super fast connection to the cable modem.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

I got the card today but it look like i need to take it in and have an apple dealer/store install. does anyone know if this can be done without them? If so, how?
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

No you really need to take the mac pro into an apple store or authorized service center
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sonnet CPU Upgrade | How to clean intel imac screen + keyboard »