New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - MacPro's annoying humming noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vlj9r

vlj9r is on a distinguished road

I was blown away by how quiet it was when I first turned it on but after 3 months, I have to constantly tap the front grill or CD door to stop the hum. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jerry
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlj9r View Post
I was blown away by how quiet it was when I first turned it on but after 3 months, I have to constantly tap the front grill or CD door to stop the hum. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jerry
If you can quieten down your Mac Pro's noisy hum by tapping the front grill or CD tray, then the following link probably doesn't refer to your issue ... thought I'd post it anyhows:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/M...c_pro_ram.html
QUOTE Thanks
Howie J

Howie J is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody Mac Book Pro, 2.66 Ghz Mac Pro w/ 2gb RAM. 1ghz G4 Powerbook w/ 768 RAM.

Jerry,

I had/have this same problem. The thing sounded like the bulb on a high powered light pole. I opened the case up again and made sure all my hard drives were as snug as possible. It hasn't made a sound since. So open it up and just give a moderate push on the hard drive holders to make sure they are seated all the way and it might help.

Howie J.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlj9r View Post

Thanks,

jerry
I would attribute that to the hard disk(s). 7200RPM is very fast and drives tend to oscillate.

How many drives do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

I too am having this problem. I just now noticed it. I notice if I lift the rear latch, the humming stops.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

Solved. It's the HD(s). I shut down, opened the case, slid the HD out, and just re-inserted it, making sure it was snugly in there. I closed the case up, booted up, no problem!

How I figured it out: after a certain amount of time, the HD goes to sleep while the computer remains on. I noticed the humming disappeared when this happened.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

CaptSaltyJack, just another benefit of owning a Mac. Try doing that to a typical PC (take the drive out and put it back). Darn near impossible unless you are comfortable with a unwiring it, unscrewing it..... Macs are so beautifully engineered relative to their PC competition. The inside of a PowerMac and a Mac Pro is a work of art. Amazingly well done.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

I've got ten years experience building PCs, so I have no problem removing a hard drive from a custom built PC..however, it sure is time consuming, depending on the case On some computer cases, it's easy.. others, it takes several steps.

But not having to mess with power cables and SATA cables..thumbs up.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Working on PCs aint so bad. But SATA is a step backwards in terms of reliability.

Most PC mobos ship with cheap SATA cables which have no clips to hold them in place.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Indigo Imac, Please help | Tiger Install, no space? PowerMac G5 »