New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac firewire problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tony3ts

For as long as I remember, my iMac DVSE (500 ghz, Panther, 640 meg) has refused anything through the Firewire ports.The other day I swapped the HD (30 meg) for an 80 meg one. On the off chance I plugged in my son's iMac and it worked! Then tried a CD burner - it worked! 10 minutes later, Firewire was a dead as it was before. What is happening please? (And is there a cost-effective way of fixing it?) Thanks! TONY :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

The fact that it worked intermittently tells me there is a lose connection
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3ts
For as long as I remember, my iMac DVSE (500 ghz, Panther, 640 meg) has refused anything through the Firewire ports.The other day I swapped the HD (30 meg) for an 80 meg one. On the off chance I plugged in my son's iMac and it worked! Then tried a CD burner - it worked! 10 minutes later, Firewire was a dead as it was before. What is happening please? (And is there a cost-effective way of fixing it?) Thanks! TONY :rolleyes:
I ran across a reference that dead firewire ports are a common problem on the cube model. The listed cure was to use the programmer's reset. The instructions are: "Shut down the computer, hold down the programmer reset, and press the power button. If you've done things correctly the power light will flicker." The writer had no idea why the FW ports went out or why the reset brought them back.

I have no idea if this will do it for your iMac but you may want to try it.
Badger
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3ts
--------------------------
After I wrote the reply above I found a French site that has details of why this happens and how to fix it (even a tutorial on replacing a chip if necessary). The url for the translation into English is: http://www.hardmac.com/article.php?id=16.
Good Luck,
Badger
QUOTE Thanks
Tony3ts

Badger - many thanks for your tip. I did the open firmware trick and installed the LaCie burner. Amazing! It worked! Then I attached an iPod and it refused to show up on iTunes. In both cases System Profiler showed that there was a device there. So I repeated the open firmware thing. This time the music CD I put in the CD burner triggered an alert that the disk was unreadable by MacOS X (it hadn't been 5 mins earlier, it had played.)I'm really confused. There doesn't seem to be a consistent set of actions that work, or cause it to screw up. So frustrating - for about 5 minutes I thought I'd cracked it. Is pressing the programme reset button the same as doing that open firmware thing? Any assistance anyone can offer? TIA Tonyhttp://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac_images/images/icons/icon9.gif
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 plugged into 220 volt | Voltage/Harddrive iMac 233 MHz »