MacBook Pro problems.
    My MacBook Pro turns off randomly. I have it plugged in, both the battery (the lights on the battery itself) and the computer (the tool bar indicator) indicate a full battery. However, randomly the little green light on the power cord goes out and the computer turns off, as if I had taken the battery out. Then I can not turn the computer back on unless the green light is on (it isn't always on, even when the cord is plugged it.) I can not run the computer on the battery alone at all. Its a very odd problem. I thought it was the battery but Im thinking this is less and less true. Additionally I thought It might be over heating, but the computer can stay on for hours at a time and than shut down, or it may shut down within seconds of me turning it on...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 11bWannabe View Post
    My MacBook Pro turns off randomly. I have it plugged in, both the battery (the lights on the battery itself) and the computer (the tool bar indicator) indicate a full battery. However, randomly the little green light on the power cord goes out and the computer turns off, as if I had taken the battery out. Then I can not turn the computer back on unless the green light is on (it isn't always on, even when the cord is plugged it.) I can not run the computer on the battery alone at all. Its a very odd problem. I thought it was the battery but Im thinking this is less and less true. Additionally I thought It might be over heating, but the computer can stay on for hours at a time and than shut down, or it may shut down within seconds of me turning it on...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Sounds like you might have a bad power supply. Inspect the cord thoroughly for any rips or tears as that has been known to cause fires. If everything looks OK, the problem could be either component (the battery or the power supply). It could also be the PMU which is the power management component of your notebook. If you are still under warranty, I would definitely contact AppleCare.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I originally thought it was the power supply, but that wouldn't explain why I can't run the computer on the battery alone. It makes more sense that it is the PMU. I think I have a limited warranty. Unfortunately, I am falling off the face of the earth for three months starting Tuesday, so if its not something I can fix myself, than it will have to wait.

Thanks for your help.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by 11bWannabe View Post
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

I originally thought it was the power supply, but that wouldn't explain why I can't run the computer on the battery alone. It makes more sense that it is the PMU. I think I have a limited warranty. Unfortunately, I am falling off the face of the earth for three months starting Tuesday, so if its not something I can fix myself, than it will have to wait.

Thanks for your help.
    I would definitely call AppleCare now, if for no other reason then to get the complaint logged and find out how much longer your warranty is. It would be a pity to find that when you get back, the warranty had expired (obviously, I don't know the timeframe of when you bought your computer - but there is typically only a 1 year warranty unless you buy the extended coverage).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information