New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G5 and upgrading memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tiger2

tiger2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7

Hi

i have a G5 powermac 2.3 i bought it new early 2006 and bought 2 gigs of ram at the time. 2 x 1 Gb

Right i use logic pro 7 and ableton alot and have noticed lately thats its slowing done alot.

would adding another 2 gigs of ram improve the performance of these apps?

If so i have another question which ram do i buy?

this is what is in now x 2
Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: PC2-4200U-444

know when i go on crucial.com what is ECC and how can i tell what is in my mac now so i buy the same as all i can find is the info above on the ram thats installed

here is a link to what i am thinking of buying

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...2E3GHz+DDR2%29

i will be buying the 2 x 1GB would that be right?

thanks

-------------------------------------
powermac G5 2.3Ghz 2 gig ram
20" apple monitor
macbookpro 2.16 100gigHd@ 7200rpm 2gig ram
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Before making the leap, you should go out and get yourself something like MenuMeters or iStatPro or any of a number of utilities that will allow you to monitor memory usage. Memory may not be the problem - something else may be slowing down your Mac. I have 2.5 GB of RAM in mine and I can see that I have never come close to using it all up, despite heavy use of Photoshop, along with the usual stuff I have running (Safari, Thunderbird, iTunes and about 20 widgets). Really, 2 GB ought to be plenty. I would advise a little research before taking this step.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Graphic Card Question | Fan Speeds »