New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Uneven backlight and hum on iMac 24"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

So how many people have an uneven backlight on their iMac 24-inch?

I also have the hum when you dim the backlight using the display control panel.

I have used Shades to dim the screen instead which is ok, but when you use Expose it goes back to full brightness while the windows are shrunk.

I'm thinking about returning the iMac, selling the Macbook and just going for a Mac pro and be done with it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A Mac Pro has no display. You would still have to purchase a display. I have a 20" imac and the backlight is very uniform. I am hoping some others here will see this and reply who own a 24". I have heard nothing but praise for the 24"'s display.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

I know the Mac pro has no display, but I have a perfectly good 22 inch widescreen monitor I can keep instead of selling.

It comes to something when a 200 Belinea monitor has a better picture than the screen in a iMac.

The 20 inch has no problems with backlight, this is unique to the 24 inch. I wanted a 20 inch but they had no refurbished ones. I should have just bought a new one but the 24 inch refurb was Only 179 more.

Maybe given time I would get used to it, it's just I don't think anyone should tolerate such design faults.
QUOTE Thanks
jakeroberts

jakeroberts will become famous soon enough

I got an early 20" G5 and the display is tip top, if you have a warranty I'd return it.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Two 20" iMacs here with perfect displays.

Take yours back.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Like I said before, this is the 24-inch model. The 20-inch models don't have this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
powerplay

powerplay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1G RAM, 250G HDD (internal), 250G HDD (External FW)

I have a 24" iMac and I have no issues with the screen whatsoever.
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

It seems that you have a duf 24" mac. I also have a 24" mac and no problems with backlight.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Like I said before, this is the 24-inch model. The 20-inch models don't have this problem.
Every 24" owner here is happy and every 24" in the shops seem fine to me.

I don't know what else we can tell you.
QUOTE Thanks
SpindleX

SpindleX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB

The 'hum' is normal.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Hum seems to be the norm, my 22 inch monitor did it. Adjusting the contrast and brightness solved that.

Anyway, I over reacted in terms of the backlight. The next day I looked at it again and it doesn't seem so bad, it's within Apple specifications. I'm selling it anyway as the display is just too big for me, plus I really need the expansion capabilities of a Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesjuk View Post
Hum seems to be the norm, my 22 inch monitor did it. Adjusting the contrast and brightness solved that.

Anyway, I over reacted in terms of the backlight. The next day I looked at it again and it doesn't seem so bad, it's within Apple specifications. I'm selling it anyway as the display is just too big for me, plus I really need the expansion capabilities of a Mac Pro.
If you need Expansion and want an OSX machine, the Mac Pro is the way to go. I hope you will enjoy it. I think you are doing the right thing for what you want in a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
If you need Expansion and want an OSX machine, the Mac Pro is the way to go. I hope you will enjoy it. I think you are doing the right thing for what you want in a computer.
Indeed, i'm just a bit miffed at the fact that they used FB-DIMMS when they appear to be going the way of rambus. Intel dropping support for them already. Obscure memory is never a good thing. Plus the latency concerns me a tad.

Incidentally, I'm returning the iMac to apple for a refund. I was unsure if the refund was possible after removing the packaging (it refers to seals in the conditions, but these are case seals not the seals on the protective wrapping).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Original HDD removal | DOA iMac »