Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Did I get the wrong RAM for my Mini? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/60334-did-i-get-wrong-ram-my-mini.html)

fiveightandten 04-23-2007 05:37 PM

Did I get the wrong RAM for my Mini?
 
I have a G4 Mini, 1.42GHz PPC and recently bought a 1GB stick of RAM on eBay (Samsung RAM, and the guy has a good return policy). It got here today, I popped the mini open and installed it. I'm getting a single long beep, followed by the power light blinking twice between pauses.

Apple lists the RAM specs as follows on their site:
-512MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM

Just to double-check I went to Crucial.com and looked up my system. They list it as the following:
-DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64


The RAM I bought says the following on it:
"1GB PC2700 333MHz DDR"

Specs in the auction were listed as:
"184 pin Dimm, 128Mx64 (128x4 High Density chips), Non ECC, Unbuffered, Non registered"



I also popped it in my Dell PC, which takes: "184-pin DDR PC2700 UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64" and got an error code as well.

What am I missing here? User error, or did I get something incompatible?

-Nick



EDIT/UPDATE:
I found the error codes in Apple's support documents and apparently 1 beep is "No RAM installed", 2 beeps is "Incompatible RAM". I've tried seating it a few times. Any suggestions?

Kyomii 04-23-2007 05:53 PM

If it is giving error codes in both systems, there is every chance the ram is bad. Send it back and order from crucial, who guarantee compatibility or your money back. They also do a lifetime warranty.

Did you take anti-static precautions when fitting it? It is very important to do this, because you can damage the ram from the static electricity from your body.

I am not saying this is what has happened, but just in case so you know for next time :D

fiveightandten 04-23-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyomii (Post 378377)
If it is giving error codes in both systems, there is every chance the ram is bad. Send it back and order from crucial, who guarantee compatibility or your money back. They also do a lifetime warranty.

Did you take anti-static precautions when fitting it? It is very important to do this, because you can damage the ram from the static electricity from your body.

I am not saying this is what has happened, but just in case so you know for next time :D

Thanks for the reply,

-The Mini is giving me an error code that indicates: "No RAM installed"
-The Dell PC is giving me an error code that indicates: "DRAM Refresh Error"

I don't have a wristband, but I discharged myself on the chassis before I touched it and made sure only to handle the module by the edges. It was, however, shipped in a heat-sealed plastic bag inside a padded envelope. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

I emailed the seller, so i'll see what he says about returning vs replacements.

-Nick

cwa107 04-23-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveightandten (Post 378414)
Thanks for the reply,

-The Mini is giving me an error code that indicates: "No RAM installed"
-The Dell PC is giving me an error code that indicates: "DRAM Refresh Error"

I don't have a wristband, but I discharged myself on the chassis before I touched it and made sure only to handle the module by the edges. It was, however, shipped in a heat-sealed plastic bag inside a padded envelope. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

I emailed the seller, so i'll see what he says about returning vs replacements.

-Nick

I agreed with Kyomii, sounds like bad memory - OR the seller inadvertently shipped the wrong type. If it truly is guaranteed, he'll replace it. Otherwise, I hope you paid with Paypal so you can retract the payment.

fiveightandten 04-23-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 378428)
I agreed with Kyomii, sounds like bad memory - OR the seller inadvertently shipped the wrong type. If it truly is guaranteed, he'll replace it. Otherwise, I hope you paid with Paypal so you can retract the payment.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any parameters I was missing that could cause it to be incompatible. For instance, I once ordered ECC RAM for my PC, which doesn't support it. I didn't even know there *was* ECC and non-ECC at the time. ;)

At any rate. All this guy sells is RAM, and his return plicy is as follows:
"If you are not satisfied with your purchase, for any reason, you may return it for a refund or exchange within 30 days from clickout winning date. Burnt or physically damaged items are not returnable. Shipping & handling fees and Insurance are NOT refundable for any reason. Buyer is responsible for return postage, proper packaging and insurance on all returning items. We will ship exchange item and warranty claim item at no extra charge. All returns must be in original condition. You are not required to notify us in advance to return the item. You must include a copy of original packing slip/invoice with your returned item."

Seems like the only issue would be him claiming that I damaged it due to static discharge during installation, which I was specific to mention I took all the precautions I could.

Anyways, thanks for the replies...looks like I didn't miss anything with the specs and it's just a case of a bad/damaged module.

-Nick

Audio.Trench 04-24-2007 02:47 AM

Download the Ultimate Boot CD (it's free), and boot to it using your Dell. Then run MemTest86+ over night, if there are any "fails," the ram is bad. If it is bad, send it back and get a new stick.

dtravis7 04-24-2007 03:14 AM

It really sounds like a bad stick of RAM as that should work. I have a PC3200 1GB in my mini and it works great. PC2700 is what is recommended, but 3200 works just fine also. Only thing I can think of is the High Density chips but the Dell and Mini should not have issues with that at all. I have a dell that takes PC2700 and every stick of DDR PC2700/PC3200 I have ever tried in it works great. Something is wrong with that ram.

Kyomii 04-24-2007 08:53 PM

I really hope he replaces it for you since his return policy does not seem to imply he will.

You are far better off ordering hardware from reputable firms such as crucial, or newegg (USA).

It is most definitely bad memory, which does happen from time to time - I have had a few bad memory sticks from when I used to order them for building computers - it is not out of the ordinary.

He should have supplied the memory in an anti-static bag and also a box - a padded envelope is not enough really.

Invest in a wrist strap - discharging from the case is not enough. ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.