New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Wireless adapter

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

letsgetsilly

letsgetsilly is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm a PC guy, but I have a friend with a G4 Power Mac, and she wants wireless internet.

My question is what kind of products are available for Macs to access wireless A/G networks? I'm looking through my normal PC brands, like Linksys, and I don't see any mac support. I'd like to find a USB adapter if possible. The inside of the power mac looks a little different- the 'PCI' white slots look different, and I don't know the terminology...so, I don't want to buy the incorrect product.

Recommendations and online store suggestions appreciated...thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Do you know what model G4 it is? A lot of them came with ports for an internal Apple Airport card. These cost about $100 now since they stopped making them, but they will probably be your best solution with the best range since the PowerMac is pre-wired with an antennae to use with the Airport card.

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
letsgetsilly

All I have for information on the computer is that it is a G4 OSX 10.4.2.

Internally there were several available 'pci' slots (again, not sure if that is the right terminology).

Is there more specific information that I should provide? What are you looking for?

Thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

This will work for a USB connection:
http://afterthemac.com/
Don't be afraid of the insides of the Mac! Those are real live PCI slots and the Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 card will install easily. The Mac's built in Airport drivers will recognize it, even though the Buffalo spec sheets say absolutely nothing about Mac support. It works perfectly!
QUOTE Thanks
letsgetsilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
This will work for a USB connection:
http://afterthemac.com/
Don't be afraid of the insides of the Mac! Those are real live PCI slots and the Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 card will install easily. The Mac's built in Airport drivers will recognize it, even though the Buffalo spec sheets say absolutely nothing about Mac support. It works perfectly!
Thanks for the product suggestions. I think I'm going to go for the Buffalo card that you suggested, but it still makes me nervous that MAC support isn't listed on the product page! However, I trust you, random-mac-internet-stranger-person, and because of that trust and because I don't know what else to do, I'll buy that product.

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Check this google: buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 macintosh support
First up is a review on Amazon, where you will find several more "random mac internet strangers" who have successfully used it!
QUOTE Thanks
letsgetsilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Check this google: buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54 macintosh support
First up is a review on Amazon, where you will find several more "random mac internet strangers" who have successfully used it!
Yeah, I did check that out before purchasing it. Thanks for the help again, it looks like it should be no problem to get it working.

I also bought a buffalo WHR-G54S router to extend her wireless network. Hopefully everything works out ok, I'll let you know the results. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« practical uses for mac mini with home theater | dual keyboard question »