New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - My iMac G5 died while asleep.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jellybean

jellybean is on a distinguished road

In 2004/05 (I'm not exaclty sure) I bought a brand new 17" iMac G5.

Last night I turned on my computer, did some chores around the house & returned 20 min later.

My Mac was in sleep mode with the screen black & the LED light pulsing. I hit the "return" key to wake up my computer. Usually when I do this the LEd light turns off & the screen turns on... but last night when I hit "return", the light turned off, but the screen stayed black.

After that I tried turning on my computer but it would not turn on when I hit the on/off button in the back. No chimes, no light, no nothing, as if it weren't even plugged in.

I was curious if any other Mac users expereinced the same problem? And if they managed a way to get computer turned on again.

I want to take it to my local Apple store, but I have some "adult" material on my desktop & I'm emberassed to bring it in or ship it off to have it repaired. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do before facing utter emberassment.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Hi, I experienced pretty much the same thing with my iMac PPC G5 last year. I put it to sleep for the night and it fell into a coma. Nothing could wake it up. I took it to the AppleStore and they replaced the faulty part (can't recall if it was the logicboard or powersupply).
QUOTE Thanks
jellybean

jellybean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Hi, I experienced pretty much the same thing with my iMac PPC G5 last year. I put it to sleep for the night and it fell into a coma. Nothing could wake it up. I took it to the AppleStore and they replaced the faulty part (can't recall if it was the logicboard or powersupply).
When they repaired you computer, did they do it in-store? If so, how long was the process? Or did they send it off?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Well, they needed to order the part so it was at least 5 - 8 days. But my mac would have been sitting there for 95% of that time and I wished I could have just brought it in when the part arrived but don't know if they'd allow that.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post

I want to take it to my local Apple store, but I have some "adult" material on my desktop & I'm emberassed to bring it in or ship it off to have it repaired. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do before facing utter emberassment.
You could always remove the hard disk, there's a PDF link below on how to do this:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._HardDrive.pdf

Then tell them you have sensitive data on there or place the drive in another Mac and backup up the contents then wipe it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleep Problem | iMac not allowing normal boot »