New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - My new 20" iMac feels sluggish

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Hi Everyone,

Is there any way of benchmarking my new iMac? This is my first Mac and I've only owned it for a week - it's got the 250Gb h/d and I upgraded to 2Gb memory. Normal operation such as launching apps and bringing forward running apps seems sluggish to me, there's no snap. I'm a long time Windows user with a personal desktop and company laptop - both of which are near or over 3 years old. They both feel faster to me.
I've been keeping an eye on CPU and memory usage and I hardly ever see the CPU pegged and often have over a gig of free memory - yet things seem slow. I wonder if I have a memory issue? The store upgraded my memory to 2Gb but when I got home the O/S only registered that there was 1Gb present. I went back to the store and they fixed it but it took 2 tries - the tech said there was probably dust in the memory slot. I did notice a performance increase once the second gig was recognized - but still.
I often have a half-dozen apps running at one time and I know that it takes time to load from the h/d - so I'm taking that into account.

I know this is all subjective, and the Mac experience is a whole new thing for me making it hard to judge.
Understand that I'm not feeling buyers remorse, I still love my Mac - but I wonder.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MacMania55

MacMania55 is a jewel in the roughMacMania55 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb

Hmmm my imac is very fast. Im not sure what the problem is, you have alot of ram too. You may want to try reformatting your computer.

MacMania55
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I wouldn't think things will open in a "snap" as you call it. Some programs open faster than others. My question is, how do they run when they're open. If they run fine and without a glitch, you have no problems. Also, run in to any blue screens of death or any other common fatal errors? Kidding aside....
I believe from what I was told, 10.4 is technically an emulated program on Intel iMacs and does not fully take advantage of Intel's processor and architecture. With the new OS coming out, maybe you'll notice that boost in performance that you're missing.
Also, what programs are you running when you say you have 6 programs running at once? I have the same setup (20" Intel w/ 250GB HD and 2GB RAM) as you and am currently running Firefox (w/ 4 tabs open), iChat, iTunes, and ripping a DVD with MacTheRipper and notice no problems or lag.
What kind of RAM did you buy?
That's all I can come up with for now....
Peace,
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

After 5 or so months, I've noticed my iMac slow down quite a bit. It's hard drive related. Everything I do required lots of laboring - I hear the HD chugging away.
Mail.app used to open up in an instant. Now its close to a few seconds. I know i know... whiney, right? But still... what happened?

I've repaired permissions, fixed files, defragmented, and rebuilt the file directory. It's only a little bit faster now. The industry needs to re-think the way computers store information - the hard drive is such a bottleneck now that cache, ram, and CPU have caught up.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

I am a little anal about my Mac. The only thing I keep on my iMac HD are the apps. I store every bit of info on my external. And I reformat every 6 months to erase everything I quit using and such. It keeps me at least feeling like I am always running at top notch.
Peace,
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
trademark

trademark has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm

I know it may sound stupid, but you are a first time mac user, and it's worth a shot...

Did you set your processor performance to highest under the energy saver options in the system prefferences?

Other than that I can only imagine the problem could be you're running the wrong type of Ram or running advanced programs.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

I believe that is only a setting on laptops

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

tm, we're running desktops - there is no CPU throttle setting.

My performance has degraded over time. So I can only think that the hard drive gets clogged because it's the only thing changing in the system over time. I can see it laboring more than it used to.

QUOTE Thanks
trademark

trademark has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm

no that's a setting on the iMac, I should know
unless they don't have the setting for the intel core duo
QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

Thanks for the info folks. This may be all in my head, I'll keep an eye on things and re-evaluate as I get more used to OS X. I bought my iMac at London Drugs and the memory upgrade was part of the purchase. I took it for granted that they were going to use Apple-supplied memory, but I guess they used whatever generic stuff they sell. I regret that, I usually buy Crucial and have never experienced any problems. I'm not too keen on doing a re-install at this point in time - but maybe once I get more comfortable.

I love my new Mac! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Run MenuMeters. With it, you can see what is making the computer sluggish.

QUOTE Thanks
ItsMeDave

I just installed MenuMeters, thanks giulio, nice app.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Try using MainMenu to deep clean caches and reboot twice. This speeds things up a little for me (even though they weren't particularly slow...)

When you open a file after this it might say something along the lines of "it looks like you're using this application for the first time"... Just open it.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark View Post
no that's a setting on the iMac, I should know
unless they don't have the setting for the intel core duo

The G5 iMacs have that setting but they took it out of the Intel imacs.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

new pcs and macs will tend to have a lot of junk on them simply from the build/install.

you may want to try one of these to clean your logs and caches (as MartinS suggested):

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences. free!

mainmenu - alternative to onyx, not quite as fully featured, but easier to use, and a bit less dangerous.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Prefs always reset to factory | new to mac »