New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Is the Mac Pro future proof?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

D-block23

D-block23 is an unknown at this point

Hello,

Will I be able to put in the intel 8-core 45 nm processors when they come out into a Mac Pro, thus creating a 16-core computer? Is the Mac Pro's motherboard capable of using these processors?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, since we already know the C2D MacPros will fit the upgraded 4 core chips, at least based on the design of the chip, it is possible. Intel is not doing anything special with the chips for Macs, but that doesn't mean Apple would not put some funky connector or something in there to stop you from upgrading. Unless their is some motherboard firmware update that Apple doesn't release to the public you may be able to. Then again, who knows?

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

As far as I have read around many places, any alterations to the core hardware of a Mac usually results in tears.

What do you do that you actually can harness 16 cores?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
D-block23

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Well, since we already know the C2D MacPros will fit the upgraded 4 core chips, at least based on the design of the chip, it is possible. Intel is not doing anything special with the chips for Macs, but that doesn't mean Apple would not put some funky connector or something in there to stop you from upgrading. Unless their is some motherboard firmware update that Apple doesn't release to the public you may be able to. Then again, who knows?
We'll, Can you put the new quad-core chips in a G5? If you can than when the 8-core processors come out Mac Pro's motherboard will most likely support them.
QUOTE Thanks
D-block23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
As far as I have read around many places, any alterations to the core hardware of a Mac usually results in tears.

What do you do that you actually can harness 16 cores?
I would like to use a 16-core computer for computer chess. So I will need as much processing power as I can get.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-block23 View Post
We'll, Can you put the new quad-core chips in a G5? If you can than when the 8-core processors come out Mac Pro's motherboard will most likely support them.
Uh, no the G5 is a PPC based architecture, not an Intel based one. The two are completely incompatible. I agree, it is possible that the next gen chips will work in the MacPro's, but again that is an assumption, not an assurance.

QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

16 processors for computer chess? You must be better @ chess than me, it only takes 1 processor to whup my tail...

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

TheThirdMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz

I know a site have successfully upgraded a 4 core Mac pro to 8 core with no problems whatsoever.

You should know, however, that 8 core is not due out for 4 or 5 years
QUOTE Thanks
D-block23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdMan View Post
I know a site have successfully upgraded a 4 core Mac pro to 8 core with no problems whatsoever.

You should know, however, that 8 core is not due out for 4 or 5 years
4 or 5 years? Where have you been? in 3 years Intel will be releasing an 80-core chip for desktops.
QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

Quote:
4 or 5 years? Where have you been? in 3 years Intel will be releasing an 80-core chip for desktops.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that that is not true. The chip you were referring to was a test chip, using technology they hope to impliment in their future chip revisions, but not actually bring out an 80 core chip!. According to industry experts, chip manufacturing will have mostly moved to quad core in 2009, let alone 8 core! I know that other chip manufacturers have released 64 core 1ghz chips for servers, but nothing approaching the 4ghz 80 core intel chip. Intel actually said that core numbers will probably only go up to 16 core, at which point improvements in manufacturing will allow 10s of GHZ, which they hope to increase, rather than cores.

But on the subject of upgrading, 8 core chips will not be compatible. There will certainly be an increase in pins making it physically incompatible.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I think D-block23 was kidding there....

QUOTE Thanks
TheThirdMan

And now i look like a f00l.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram optimization | New 8-core arrived today... »