New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - External Storage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mister_montana

mister_montana is an unknown at this point

I thought I knew how to empty my HD using an external HD. SHould I delete the applications in my HD, because the memory doesnīt really look like it wants to give a little after I deleted videos, songs and a bunch of other files. ANy suggestions, I just donīt know how much to trust my external drive, eventhough it is a good brand, do this things last long?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I would try DiskInventoryX to locate other large bits of data occupying your disk first.

If you move movies, music and your apps to the external HD, what's left on your drive? How much space do you have in the first place?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
mister_montana

mister_montana is an unknown at this point

I have 80 G in my HD and a 300 G external one, the thing is that I had 6,4 left when I had all the songs and videos and when I deleted them it went up to 7,6 G available, when I at least have 13 G of music. I am positive no music files or video files remain in my computer. I have all the Macromedia Studio 8, Adobe Creative Suite C2 and Microsoft Office. All the other apps are the usual extras like MSn and things like that that arenīt really that heavy. Maybe defragmenting this thing or something is needed. It is also very slow with 1 G of ram in my G$ processor. I have a Power Book G4. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

I was in the same situation and I ended up installing a second internal HD. There are many Threads and Posts in this Forum to give you an idea where you stand if you do a search for Upgrade Internal HD, External HD, Second HD, Storage Space, etc.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1.42GHz G4 vs 1.66 Intel CD | eject button for opening dvd tray »