New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Hard one for you all!! :-(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhoneUnlocker

Hi all,

Right I've got a PowerBook G4 1Ghz - 2 x 256Mb RAM PC2700 (one from crucial and other is samsung that came with machine).

I have jusy bought 2 x 512Mb RAM PC2700 from Crucial same as the 256 stick I have in my lappy at present, but when I use any of the 512's my system just crashes. :confused: :confused:

Does anyone know why?? I'm very new to MAC's so I'm not sure if anything needs tweeking in BIOS or whatever. I'm sure there can not be 2 faulty sticks from Crucial I have never had any problems with them b4.

I also get the error message when I test it with the backup CD...
--------------------------------------------------
ERROR CODE ****** ERROR CODE ******
2MEM/101/4:SODIMM1/J25UPPER

I have looked the error message up on Apple's website and it means 'memory parity error' but they are both the same spec as the 256 stick I have installed and working 100% for months. :confused: :confused:

Can anyone help???

Thanks,
Ed
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

One of the memory stick maybe bad. Re-install on of the 256 sticks and install one of the 512 stick and see what happens. If the 512 stick does not crash the system. Then switch the to the other 512 stick and see what happens. Hopefully you will find one bad stick which you can return for a new one.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
PhoneUnlocker

Nope tried everything I can think of, seems to work ok when using battery power but as soon as you plug the charger in, it crashes. I think it's got something to do with power.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneUnlocker
I also get the error message when I test it with the backup CD...
ERROR CODE ****** ERROR CODE ******
2MEM/101/4:SODIMM1/J25UPPER
Your error message point to a bad memory chip. When you work off the battery, your system goes into power saver mode, unless you changed your settings. When you are plugged in, you are using full power. If you have not done so, leave the system plugged in as you check the memory sticks.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g4 startup troubles | Disassemble G4 400Mhz »