New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 500mhz as file server?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

I have been looking on ebay for a sub $150 computer to use as a file server. I would like to use a mac becuase they are very stable and low mantience.

For the price I am willing to pay I can get a 500mhz single G4 powermac with 512 MB of RAM. It will be hosting videos, music and documents. 4 computer will be using it.

Does this computer have the horsepower to do this? Will I need to upgrade the RAM?

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The computer itself should be ok as long as you don't heavily task it. Trying to run multiple videos and/or music off it simultaneously may be an issue, it is just a 500 Mhz processor. Will this be a wired or wireless network?

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

currently its both, I would like to have all wired at some point.

As a test I put a video on an old pentium 3 500mhz laptop and it was 50% cpu with one computer watching the video, with 2 computers it was 100%.

Im guessing a G4 is faster than a P3. Also would upgrading the RAM help out?

Would you recomend I just get an old PC?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Adding RAM is always a good thing. Considering a CPU upgrade may be worthwhile if your going to be streaming video/audio.

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

What kind of RAM do G4 powermacs use? pc133?

If I upgraded the cpu I would buy a 1 ghz G4. If I remember correct all the powermacs with AGP graphics are capable of CPU upgrades, correct?

Lastly how much RAM do you recommend for a file server? How does a server use RAM, to cache recent files?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Yes, it's upgradeable, I think my old Sawtooth too PC-100, but PC-133 should be correct. I'd go with at least a Gig of RAM.

QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes, it's upgradeable, I think my old Sawtooth too PC-100, but PC-133 should be correct. I'd go with at least a Gig of RAM.
thank you so much for the help

QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

Good luck, tell us how it all panes out for you!

Owner of a '89 Mk2 Jetta
Can't forget those G3 iMacs!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 processor upgrade | slow eMac. suggestions? »