New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - disk tray woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Digital Louie

Digital Louie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MAC Pro 2.66

I love my Mac Pro but what seemed to be fast when I first got the unit, now seems quite slow. I'm referring to the length of time I need to hold down the eject button before the tray actually opens. I used to just touch the button and it would begin to open. I now have to hold the button for a short period of time before the tray, either one (I have dual trays), opens. Other than that, I love my Mac! Any suggestions would help. I don't know if I messed some time issue up in Terminal or Tinkertool, I can't remember. Thanks in advance,
Shawn:bone:

:closed: Too new to know...livin' life to learn Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Did you recently update to 10.4.9? That is probably the cause of it. Many people have noticed it since.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
metalsam

metalsam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.

Yeah, I had that after hte update too. I prefer it though, because now if I accidently hit the eject button when I mean to press delete or F12, my Cd wont pop out
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I have the .9 update in my Pro and i don't see any slow down in opening either of my 2 drives... I don't have to hold the keys down at all, just touch them and the doors open within 2 seconds...

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

I see this problem also on my Mac Pro. I just got it the other day and the eject responded fine. Once I did all the software updates available (including .9) I am experiencing that short delay also.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Looks like it's an intentional change with the last round of updates. My legacy Powermac is experiencing the same thing.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
TenderSurrender

TenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really niceTenderSurrender is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)

I dont think it is a "problem" but more a fix for a lot of users.

Many people mentioned that when typing, it was very easy to knock the eject button and eject the CD. This way now its a lot harder to "accidently" tap it.

~~ TS ~~

JEMDNA Photography - Clicky to see latest work
“Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it.”
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

my computer also does this, I thought I had broken the key. I guess not.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

I agree with Tender. Once I realized what the issue was, I actually like it b/c I used to accidentally hit the button all the time. My only problem is we all had to figure it out- do they actually post updates like that anywhere so we can see what they're changing?

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

10.4.9 didnt affect me
QUOTE Thanks
damarisgpa

damarisgpa is on a distinguished road

Greetings, I have a Power Mac G4 Dual Core 867. I have no real problem with the tray not opening, my problem is that the tray will not stay open. Anybody out there have the same issue? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
damarisgpa

damarisgpa is on a distinguished road

I have no problem with the tray not ejecting. Mine is that when it the tray ejects, it closes right away not letting me even put a disc in. I am running
OS 10.4.9 Has anyone else here encountered this problem? If I am in the wrong thread, please direct me to the right one. Thanks in advance. My drive is a Pioneer DVR-104
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Ethernet woes... | 3.5'' CD-Rom in slot drive? »