New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Another Terabyte of Storage!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

For those who remember, I purchased THIS a few months back for my Quad. I finally picked up 2 500Gb drives (Seagate's) today and tossed them in there. The drives were on sale at FRY'S for $119 each, which is a pretty darn good price for 500Gb SATAII drives. The 750Gbs were still over $300 on sale.

That brings me to a total of 1.75Tb of internal space and 3.5Tb of total (Internal + External) space.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Another Gigabyte of Storage!
Wow... you really mean a whole GB?
That is a lot of space.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Wow... you really mean a whole GB?
That is a lot of space.
Ya know, I JUST caught that....

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Ya know, I JUST caught that....
Hehe... I knew what you meant.
I fixed the thread title for ya.
I have some serious HD envy now.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post

I have some serious HD envy now.
Yeah, me too - are those the 7200.09 or the newer 7200.10 models
May have to see if they're on sale here too

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

baggss, dare I ask - what do you DO with all that storage? Is it humanly possible to use up nearly 2 Tb of store?...

Of course, many, many years ago (believe me, MANY years ago) I remember laying hands on a physically huge 1 MB removable hard disk for the DEC PDP 11 we used in a university lab and asking the same question - how could anyone POSSIBLY fill up an ENTIRE 1 MB drive??? Unthinkable! :dive:

Of course, fast forward to today, and the question is a little different! :dive:

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I'm seriously jealous. I want more space too. I really need to pick up a few HDs though, for backups and spare storage.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I believe they are the 7200.10 drives.

I needed to expand for my every growing Video collection. I've ripped most of my DVD (both movies and TV shows) collection to hard disc (mp4 format), but I was seriously short of drive space. I specifically wanted SATAII drives internally as USB2 external is just to slow to copy large files to/from or to even consider streaming to an Apple TV when I get one. The USB2 External is good for my Music collection (spread across 5 drives btw) though. I think I'm pretty well set for a while now. Eventually I'll upgrade all 4 internal SATAII drives to 1Tb discs when they come out.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Wow, that's some serious space. Now you can just download all the contents of the internet for easy and fast access!! ( or at least a few small sites, like Wikipedia!)

Quote:
Eventually I'll upgrade all 4 internal SATAII drives to 1Tb discs when they come out.
They're already out. I forget who I saw selling them. Also, I just saw an article on Engadget of a company that is near to completing the design for a 2-4 TB single disc about the thickness of a standard DVD. I guess the secret is that it's transparent so it can have several more layers. They're really killing my dreams for mainstream production of SSD's.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Anybody happen to know how much space the internet takes up?

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

sevenhelmet, I don't think anyone can answer that question.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
Anybody happen to know how much space the internet takes up?
All of it......

QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

Yeah, after I made that post i went out and tried to find a number for the size of the internet. Rman is right, nobody really knows, but in 1992, there were about 200 domain hosts. Today there are over 194,000,000.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
SuB8HaVeN

SuB8HaVeN will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz

Yum, nothing like lots of Seagate goodness!

12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB8HaVeN View Post
Yum, nothing like lots of Seagate goodness!
Aye, Seagate goodness

Though if you take a look at my blog, we've been working on a japanese import external drive that can carry a Terabyte...and it's cheap.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« radeon video card for sale | problem switch on »