New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Another Terabyte of Storage!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYMS View Post
Aye, Seagate goodness

Though if you take a look at my blog, we've been working on a japanese import external drive that can carry a Terabyte...and it's cheap.
Not as cheap as WD, Maxtor or even OWC with Seagate 7200.10 drives or Lacie and no mention of warranty term nor any supplied software for those that may be interested.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

MikeYMS has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Of course, if you'd read the blog, it does explain a lot more. Also, just FYI, from the Terms/Warranty section of that store's website:

"Products sold as NEW without a manufacturer's warranty are warranted by Your Mac Store for 30 days from the itemfs arrival date at the customers location if the item was shipped by a traceable method (for items sent via untraceable means, the warranty ends 40 days from the invoice date)."

Let me see...supplied software? If it needed software, it'd be mentioned in the write-up.

Of course, you could just ask question, and I can get the answer for you. (I'm the sales/CS guy, not the tech guy.)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYMS View Post
Of course, if you'd read the blog, it does explain a lot more. Also, just FYI, from the Terms/Warranty section of that store's website:

"Products sold as NEW without a manufacturer's warranty are warranted by Your Mac Store for 30 days from the item�fs arrival date at the customer�s location if the item was shipped by a traceable method (for items sent via untraceable means, the warranty ends 40 days from the invoice date)."

Let me see...supplied software? If it needed software, it'd be mentioned in the write-up.

Of course, you could just ask question, and I can get the answer for you. (I'm the sales/CS guy, not the tech guy.)
You're the one here in the forum hypin' your site.
So, what you're sayin, is we can get a cheap 1TB drive for $500 with a 30 day warranty and no software.
Or a not so cheap WD for $409 or $369 both with a 3 yr warranty from newegg, or how about an OWC for $420 with 2 years on the case and 5 years on the Seagate drives. All 3 of these are triple interface.
Either one of these 2 options also come with provided software for those that may want it.

Just lettin' people know their options here.

QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

My blog covers a comparison between the AKIBA Front Attack and G-Tech's G-Sata model:

"...is similar to the AKIBA Front Attack model…with two gigantic differences. The first difference is no firewire ports at all on the device (it’s got an eSATA PCIe adapter though – read: more work). The second, and by far the most important difference to price conscious users…it’s over $200 more than the AKIBA" (http://yourmacstore.blogspot.com/2007/04/charge.html)

By far and large, IMO, the AKIBA Front Attack model is superior to the G-Tech G-Sata drive in price and functionality. Additional firewire and USB ports (including one firewire port on the front) are useful, as I am sure we can agree.

We do stand by the price and the reliability of the AKIBA/Century product line.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Don't get me wrong here, don't know you, and you may be a swell guy, and we'd probably get along real nice and you have offered discounts to the members here which is great, but if you want to hype your stuff, you should keep it to the buy/sell/trade threads. Hijacking any other threads for your sales pitches are not what most support forums are about. But then maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.

And for those that don't want to look it up, just prior to those ...... in his quote above is this
"What’s that? How does it stack up against the competition? Ok fair question, and rather than let y’all do your own research, Uncle Mike here has done some of it for you........"

You were implying that you had saved us from doing the research. Yeah, you had to do some research alright, to find a drive that was more expensive than yours. Sounds like all the other salespeople. And you didn't even compare it to another triple interface drive, but a superior eSATA interface. That's no different than if I were to try to compare a $200 cheaper USB device to your triple interface device.

As to whether the additional firewire ports are useful, guess that depends on whether someone needs firewire or they prefer to upgrade their system to eSATA or not.

Attached benchmarks of eSATA and FW800 attached to a G5 dual 2.0Ghz.
Have seen others but these are typical and I knew where to find them.
Attached Images
File Type: png eSATA.png (115.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png FW800.png (111.9 KB, 0 views)

QUOTE Thanks
MikeYMS

Far be it beyond me to offer to help. There was no thread hijack started by me here...we're both guilty of it. However, I think that we can just agree to disagree on our opinions here. I don't openly sell things in threads, but when I feel like I'm being called a liar, I will respond with what information I do have (and what is passed down to me).

And just for reference, your opinions are completely valid, and I'm happy to hear them. I just think they should be taken to PMs so we don't cause any further issues inside this thread. Sound good?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« radeon video card for sale | problem switch on »