New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - No IP Address; can't connect to G4; WHY?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MamaT

MamaT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 2.5 GB

I recently went wireless with airport on my G5. Is that why I don't have a IP address and can connect to my G4 via ethernet. I want to switch photos from one computer to the other but can get them to see each other. Even tried with firewire, transfered the photos and then they weren't there. What's up? Anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Can you say a little more about your configuration? You know that PowerMacs don't have Airport (WiFi) built in I hope?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MamaT

Does this help?

Hardware Overview:
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.0.7f0

AirPort Card Information:
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 405.1 (3.90.34.0.p18)
QUOTE Thanks
MamaT

For those that may need to know the solution was fairly simple. Turn airport off and your computer will give you an IP address. I had to type it in the "connect to server" window of the second computer but connecting was easy after doing so.
QUOTE Thanks
Blissfull

Blissfull is on a distinguished road

Ok, if you have a mac over ethernet and one over wireless then you must have a wireless enabled router, or a wireless bridge.

You need to determine which side is failing, either wireless (most common) or ethernet (less common but very possible too). If your router works as an access point or router, the easiest way to do this is to open the network utility in both machines, and ping your router's address (it must be listed as the router or gateway address in your network config). If one of the machines fails to ping, that's where the problem is. And from then on it's different diagnosis paths.
QUOTE Thanks
MamaT

I'm very confused. Sometimes I have an IP address, sometimes I don't ! ? Could is be my server? I unfortunally live in Holland at the moment. Could that be a factor?

I have a G5 OS 10.4.9 (dual) and a G4 OS 10.3.9.
I have them connected with an ethernet cable. There is NO Router involved.
The G5 is connected to the internet via air port express.
The G4 is not connected to the internet and doesn't have an air port card.

Neither the G4 or G5 have a IP address listed in system pref under network but shouldn't I be able to connect my 2 computers anyway???

I would love to follow Blissful's suggestion about pinging but I do not know what that is. Please instruct me or suggest a article. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help new Mac user | iMac problem »