New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Extremely Slow imac (Help Please)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nesp03

nesp03 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a new imac. It is starting to run extremely slow. When I do anything on the computer it can take up to 5 minutes. Just to get the dock to pop up takes several minutes. Even to type a letter on a document will take awhile. I am not sure what is happening. This just happened all of a sudden. I don't use the Internet very often, so I would be very surprised if it was a virus. Anybody have any ideas of what is going on?
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

captaindan will become famous soon enough

Try downloading Onyx and clean your cacheout it also cleans a lot of other stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

I am kind of new to all this but I just started cleaning once a week. I will try to find the link for it.
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html
Try this
QUOTE Thanks
awrence

awrence will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz

www.atomicbird.com Has a program called macaroni that works in the background tidying things up (all the cached and useless language files etc) that seems to work well an you can schedule it yourself.
Also I know the mac can be used for multitasking but there is a finite number of programs that can be opened at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Simbad54 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.8, 8GB Ram

You should probably check your permissions as well. Run Disk utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility)
Choose your Hard drive then click Verify Disk Permissions. It takes a while then click on repair if necessary.
Should help. There's also Mac Janitor, like Onyx.
Sim
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesp03 View Post
I recently bought a new imac. It is starting to run extremely slow. When I do anything on the computer it can take up to 5 minutes. Just to get the dock to pop up takes several minutes. Even to type a letter on a document will take awhile. I am not sure what is happening. This just happened all of a sudden. I don't use the Internet very often, so I would be very surprised if it was a virus. Anybody have any ideas of what is going on?
Give more information on your system. What processor does it have, how much ram do you have... just what is it doing to be called slow? Are you running more than one program at a time? iMacs, especially the newer ones are not normally "slow" so it sounds like you may have a hardware problem.

Empy the trash and caches and run permissions and see if that makes any difference. How much drive space do you have left?

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
nesp03

I have a 17 inch 2.0 ghz intel core 2 duo. It came with 1gb memory and 160 gb hard drive. Everything I do on the computer goes slow. To open a program it takes several minutes. To select file and print it can take up to five minutes. I tried disk utility and it said that everything was fine. I called Apple, because I still have a warranty, but they don't think it is hardware. They won't take with me unless I purchase the Apple Protection plan. I am a huge Apple guy, but this is kind of frustrating. Thanks for your help. I will try cleaning my cache, but the computer goes so slow that may not even be possible.
QUOTE Thanks
viridian

viridian has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor

Do a spyware scan and also check your network... and you may want to clean up you desktop because that may use up a lot of ram
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Have you installed any programs recently?

How are you connecting to the internet?

What programs appear in Activity Monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You should restart in safe mode. When rebooting, hold down the shift key. Do some of the same operations and see if it's still slow. Then you'll know if something wacky is taking over your system, or the OS needs re-installing, etc. It's a good place to start. Let us know what happens after you try that.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Well, for what help it might be, my usual recipe for tuning up a slowing Mac:

First, check that your processor is running full speed. Go to Preferences, Energy Saver, Options and look at the drop box down near the bottom called Processor Performance. If it is not set to "Highest", set it to that right away. This maximizes performance, but for notebooks, it may run down the battery faster.

Next, download OnyX and run the complete set of clean up and maintenance scripts and then try again. Get OnyX at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Finally, you may wish to check that you have enough free space on your hard drive. Highlight the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop, CTL-click it and select Get Info from the resulting menu. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of space left. If not, a little spring cleaning may be in order.

There are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

Both do a great job at letting you zero in on your largest disk space consumers, so that you can hunt down any rogue files.

Do the OnyX thing first, then restart and try out one or both of the above tools. By the way, all three are freeware!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
nesp03

I have tried several of the suggestions and nothing works yet. I went to check the processor speed in preferences. There wasn't anything in options. From what I understand the processor speed can only be changed in the laptops.

I also checked the free space. I have only used 21.4 GB and the computer has 131 GB capacity available.

When I pressed shift to start the computer in safe mode the computer would start to reboot and then it would shut off completely. So I wasn't ever able to open in safe mode.

The computer was going to slow last night to get onto the Internet, so I still haven't downloaded ONYX. I will try again today.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Since you say that it is "starting to go slowly" this implies that it once went quickly. First of all, OnyX or MainMenu is a must - run all the maintenance routines and evaluate again.

If that doesn't help, it is possible you have some processes running that are consuming a lot of idle CPU, thus slowing down your machine. I had a bad widget that did this once. Open Activity Monitor and look at your "resting" CPU occupancy when you are not doing anything with the machine. It should be pretty much zero (maybe 1% to 2% at most). If it not, identify the process or processes that are taking the time. What are they? Do you recognize them? Are they needed?

If you find one that is not needed, kill it and see how your machine starts to behave. If this is the cure, you will need to identify the startup item that launches it and delete it.

Good luck and keep reporting back!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Try creating a new user account and see if the speed is any better in that new account. Report back with your findings please.

Oh and welcome to Mac-Forums!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virtual pc, access, office, Mac | Booting G5 From External »