New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac HD replacement guide

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Badger

For those of you interested in replacing the hard drive in a slot-loading iMac here is a link to an illustraited, step-by-step guide.
http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/i...?showtopic=436

Badger
QUOTE Thanks
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
For those of you interested in replacing the hard drive in a slot-loading iMac here is a link to an illustraited, step-by-step guide.
http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/i...?showtopic=436

Badger
I am following these instructions and have gotten to the part about taking the screws out for the hard drive casing itself:

"Now that is done it's time to unscrew the hard disk.

Unscrew the four screws that hold the hard disk in place. I suggest loosening the four screws before undoing them completely (it makes it easier if they are tight.) Unplug all the cables and the hard disk should simply slide out. "

I bought the smallest screwdriver head I could find (0 x 2-1/2), but it doesn't look to be small enough. Anyone else have trouble getting this part to come off?

-Bruce Gilbert
QUOTE Thanks
Tony3ts

This is the site I used for take-apart instructions for the iMac HD replacement. Very clear:
http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/
Those screws shouldn't be that small. I think I used the same screwdriver as the one I used to open the case...
TONY
QUOTE Thanks
bruceg

well, I think I have the process down but the four screws holding the HD in place at least on mine , the screws heads are completely flat against the metal housing. I've tried many different size screwdrivers, but cannot get them loose/ I have a iMac DV, the one with the clear background cover. Not sure if that one is different than the others. Anyway, I had no problem getting the other screws off, but these four are definitely differerent.
QUOTE Thanks
Tony3ts

I'm not a techie so I better be careful about handing out advice. I think you just have well bedded-in screws. My first instinct would be downward pressure as you twist but then you'd have to be wary of damaging the HD. Perhaps a bit of upward pressure on the frame that holds the hard disc/DVD player at the same time? The other possible solution is counter-intuitive (at least that's how I see it). Use a bigger screwdriver head not a smaller one. It gives better grip.
My two imacs are the clear case (graphite) and the flower-power. Managed an HD swap both times. Best wishes TONY
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg
I am following these instructions and have gotten to the part about taking the screws out for the hard drive casing itself:

"Now that is done it's time to unscrew the hard disk.

Unscrew the four screws that hold the hard disk in place. I suggest loosening the four screws before undoing them completely (it makes it easier if they are tight.) Unplug all the cables and the hard disk should simply slide out. "

I bought the smallest screwdriver head I could find (0 x 2-1/2), but it doesn't look to be small enough. Anyone else have trouble getting this part to come off?

-Bruce Gilbert
The Apple service manual lists a #1 Phillips screwdriver for these screws. Using a smaller one could damage the screw heads. I know from my own experience that it may be harder than you expect the first time these screws are removed.
Badger
QUOTE Thanks
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
The Apple service manual lists a #1 Phillips screwdriver for these screws. Using a smaller one could damage the screw heads. I know from my own experience that it may be harder than you expect the first time these screws are removed.
Badger
well, I was able to get the top two screws off, the bottom ones are still being a pain and will not budge. I will keep trying. I guess all four need to come off to get the old HD out?

-Bruce G.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 and AGP Vid Cards | imac wont swtich on »