New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - I'm confused! Need help from anyone Please~

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JaneChua

JaneChua is on a distinguished road

I am 15" imac flat panel user. Facing a problem that is I love an online game which is only able to download to PC. And I always have to play this game using my Sis pc, and recently her pc having problem when every i log in to this game!

Now my mac is going to DIE~is not working now and I am confuse should I buy a 20" imac or buy a pc....well I like very much Mac performance and the super quality graphic (no pc can compare to it ^ ^ ) but again...
I will not able to play that favourite game on my own mac...

Btw, I thot new imac can switch to OSX operating system and also Window XP operating system am i right?? CONFUSED!!!!!:radioacti
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i pretty much gave up a lot of the games i used to play when i switched to mac.

you're going to have to make that decision yourself though. is the one game worth not having a mac if you love the OS so much?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

oh yeah and for your reply "janechua"...get virtual pc thats the only way to play pc games on ure mac, but i warn u get a bigger memory card cause mac splits it with virtual pc. E.g if i have 500mb to run virtual pc it would run 250mb, so go for like a 1gig or so.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas09 View Post
oh yeah and for your reply "janechua"...get virtual pc thats the only way to play pc games on ure mac,
You can't use VPC to play games as it doesn't support 3D graphics needed to run the games.
That and it is exrtremely slow, even when simply running Windows.

Also, I am pretty sure that the OP has an Intel Mac, which wouldn't run VPC anyway.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
JaneChua

hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

So meaning there is no such issue that new mac that can switch use of 2 different O/S (OSX n Windows XP) like currently mac which we can choose to boot into OSX or OS9. Am i right?

So if my imac totally die, then the flat panel screen (monitor) have to bury together? Even it's not "SICK"?
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

You prefer the Macintosh stay with it. If you want to play games, get a game console. Once you get used to the Mac and then rely on a PC for daily computing you will quickly feel the loss and want another Mac, trust me.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

On the new Intel-based Macs you can install Windoze XP by running Apple's Boot Camp but I believe you will have to install more RAM than what comes in standard.

Also if you are looking at the iMac (excellent choice btw), it would be much better if you didn't buy the low-end 17-inch 1.83GHz model as it doesn't come with a possibility of a dedicated video card: instead it has a Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. And it doesn't offer the SuperDrive (which allows you to burn DVDs), just the Combo Drive.

What is the online game you are referring to? Can you ask around if some fellow gamers can play this game on Macs via Boot Camp?
QUOTE Thanks
JaneChua

I am playing this "Mapelstory" 2D game. Anyone of you play this game?

Btw, If to replace a new HD is it very easy? And any one know which type of HD should I choose for my imac.

Current imac spec:

60GB
800MHZ G4
RAM 768
CD-RW/DVD-R (Super Drive)
15" Flat panel
NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX Graphics
32 MB DDR Memory
2 Firewire port (never use them since I bought it, coz not really understand the usage.... )
3 USB port + 2 USB port at keyboard
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ok sorry. Thought you were asking advice about a brand new iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
JaneChua

MHC, dont need to say sorry ^ ^. I was thinking of buying a new mac but then saw from some threads that if HD failed, can replace a new one.

So was thinking is it worth it to just replace a new HD (provided I know how to replace it!!) I am just a noobie in mac

Or just get a new imac.
QUOTE Thanks
Rtas09

Rtas09 is an unknown at this point

ok...wats a problem called when mac ejects ure cd's and dvd's?does this mean i have to get a brand new MAC??
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Rtas, I fail to see what is your point in this thread and if you can't add anything constructive to a thread asking for help, well you know... :radioacti

Anyway.

Back on topic.

JaneChua, here is a .pdf file of the flat-panel iMac but a word of caution this file is 4.1MB and takes forever to load (or download) so be patient. Keep the file to your desktop or print it, it might come in useful for other things later. It has info on every component inside your iMac.

I would say that if you aren't too much into taking apart a computer and rebuilding it, this might be a bit hazardous to undertake.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As a quickie tool, you can use this page at OWC to find what items that are upgradeable in your Mac.

Pick your Mac on the right side, click on Show Models.
On the next page, pick your model and select what upgrade you want - in this case Data Storage. This is a convenient tool to show you the specs you need to be looking for. In this case, if what you need to replace is the hard drive, a 7200 rpm ATA/IDE hard drive. You should be able to get another 80GB drive for around $50 or less.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Personally, i still believe that a home-made PC is better for games than a Mac. However, for just one game i would think twice. You can buy an iMac and use BootCamp to run Windows or you can buy a Mac Mini and also use BootCamp, since that game (Maple Story?) seems to be a light one, so a Mac Mini should be able to handle it.

Your Mac is old, replacing the hard drive won't give you much advantages. You cannot compare replacing a piece/part to replacing the entire machine. If you don't have the money for a new Mac or a new PC, just change the hard drive or increase the memory, but remember that your Mac is already old, its life is getting shorter.

If you have the money for a new Mac, maybe is time to get it.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« keyboard problems | I smell something burning! »