New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

General Intel iMac Q

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wlg1218

wlg1218 is on a distinguished road

Hi all!

I'm new here, so sorry if this isn't posted in the correct place.

I bought a 20" Intel-based iMac in March of 2006 (almost 1 year ago exactly, in fact,) and was excited to be able to abandon my ancient, POS Windows machine...hopefully forever.

However, my Mac is not living up to the hype. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on why I'm having this problem, so I thought I'd come here for suggestions.

Basically, this thing is SLOW! For instance, clicking on the user name at the top right to switch users takes 15 seconds for the drop-down to appear! It usually goes into the spinning colorwheel...all for a click on the user name! Whenever I try to load photos into iPhoto (i.e. hook up my camera and let it do it's thing), it takes FOREVER for iPhoto to recognize the camera, and then once iPhoto starts bouncing on the dock, it takes like 20 seconds for it to respond (all the while flashing the colorwheel.)

I also use Photoshop and Illustrator, which are slow...and I understand why. I've read a ton about how they use Rosetta and are therefore handicapped...but iPhoto? And trying to switch users? Those are native, right?! It seems like having it take 10 seconds to awaken from screensaver (the desktop shows up but the mouse doesn't move) is something wrong that shouldn't be happening.

Oh, one more thing: WORD. Word runs more slowly on this thing than on my old Compaq with Windows ME! No joke! I click on the dock, (which, by the way, usually takes a long time to come out of hiding, and then sometimes acts like it's frozen until I madly wiggle the mouse around,) and the Word icon bounces for-freakin-EVER until it opens. It's truly pathetic.

So, my question is: Did I get a lemon? Is there something I can do (tests, software updates that don't appear under 'software update', etc.) to help it move faster?

Any help will be most appreciated!

Regards,

wlg1218

p.s. I forgot to mention, it has 1GB RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Mac-Forums.com > Software > OS X - Operating System > Basic OS X Troubleshooting
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-F Basic OS X Troubleshooting thread
If something isn't working chances are one of these following items will help you.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
wlg1218

Me again...

A perfect example of what I'm talking about just happened.

I minimized this window, and went to eject a CD...when I clicked on the CD to move it to the trash, the colorwheel showed up, and it simply refused to go away. It's not so much slow as just unresponsive...like I click on something and either nothing happens, or it happens really slowly...even if it's a system utility or something definitely native...the kind of stuff that should be super fast!
QUOTE Thanks
wlg1218

Umm...if I have any other suggestions for the list? As in, in addition to 'read the rules' and 'use the search?'

Nope, nothing to contribute there; I did try both of those things and was unable to locate anything to help me with my specific problem...

Hence the post.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlg1218 View Post
Umm...if I have any other suggestions for the list? As in, in addition to 'read the rules' and 'use the search?'

Nope, nothing to contribute there; I did try both of those things and was unable to locate anything to help me with my specific problem...

Hence the post.
No, the first bit I posted is a link to a stickied threadThe quote is from that thread, telling you that if something isn't working right, then you should try the suggestions contained in that thread.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
wlg1218

Thanks!

I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Sorry to sound agitated...my machine is really irking me!

wlg1218
QUOTE Thanks
DVaris223

DVaris223 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, iPhone

How often do you run maintenance on your computer?

QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I don't have a specific solution, although feel your pain. I had similar situation before and simply just backed up my info and did a fresh reinstall. My system ran like new again, well because it was.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Photoshop, Illustrator and Word are indeed a joke at the moment. My colleague often screams as it takes about a minute to switch between them.

iPhoto should be nippy - what kind of camera do you have?

I'm sure having any Rosetta app open slows down the whole machine, even affecting native programs.

Blame Adobe, Microsoft and Apple for your woes - they've all got a part to play in your problems. If Apple could produce an x86 version of OS X, along with all its applications, Adobe could have had CS3 out by now.

Microsoft's Apple dept is 3 men in a shed at the back of MS HQ - they're supposed to get round to Office 07 towards the end of the year.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Did your iMac come with a desktop or laptop hard drive? I find that to be the dilemma on my mini. I have a 5.1 iMac (Oct 06) and it's super duper zippy. My neighbor has one from around the same time as you (its a 4.1 iMac) and it's super duper zippy as well.

You should run MenuMeters. It'll tell you everything about your machine in a glance. You can see the bottleneck as it happens. When you ask "WTF is taking so long??", the menu replies "RAM is full, chill out." or "CPU pinned, take a nap" or "Hard drive is busy, go get coffee".

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I second the vote for MenuMeters. I couldn't live without it. I am not sure I would agree with giulio's proxy advice from it though, such as "take a nap"! :dive: Instead, I use MenuMeters to spot any issues as they happen. If I am not doing anything with the machine and I see the CPU is pegged at 100%, I know I have an issue. Same for hard drive.

For example I once found a widget that was misbehaving and keeping the CPU pegged full out. I discovered the issue via MenuMeters, and then used the Mac's Activity Monitor to zero in on the offending process. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one it was.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Texasmeat

Texasmeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

Download system optimizer X. It's free and will speed your system up nicely. Also, make sure that you dont have any programs open all the time on each user account. My brother just bought a new mac and his kids leave every single program open on their user account. So, when switching users it takes forever. I told him to make sure that all programs are closed on the kids account and it sped right up. He called me amazed how much faster his computer was. -Todd
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I am not sure I would agree with giulio's proxy advice from it though, such as "take a nap"! :dive:
Whu? Why? Whats wrong with that?? :baron: haha

BTW this brings me to a gripe about OSs in general. All of them show how much ram and CPU any process is using. But when it comes to disk usage, we're stick guessing.
It would be nice to see something like...

DiskID disk0 usage is at 75% duty:
Finder: 0%
System Events: 1%
MDS: 50%
...etc

And then you'd know.... my HD is going nuts because it's currently being indexed.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old G5 graphics card and 30-inch display | Just put in RAM and have problems »