New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Memory upgrade for Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

statuko

statuko is an unknown at this point

Hi Guys,

I'm going to buy my Mac Pro soon, the basic one with 1Go of Ram. I'm a newbie in this Mac world. I saw that I can find 2Go of Ram (2 x 1Go) for a good price to upgrade to 3Go (2x512Mo and 2x1Go). I would like to know if it's not a problem for the computer to have 2x512Mo and 2x1Go ? On the Mac store they sell just 1Go, 2Go, 4Go, 8Go and 16Go. Is there a reason ? I really want to be sure before doing anything. It's a lot of money.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You should not have a problem. I believe the rule stil is that you must install the memory as matched set or pair. meaning that if you are installing 1GB then you will use two 512MB memory sticks, of you are installing 2GB you use to 1GB memory stick.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
statuko

Thanks rman.
So I'm ready to join the Mac World !

:dive:
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Agree with rman. I have done just that. My PowerMac came with 2x256, for 512 MB total. I *added* 2x1GB (or another 2 GB) for a total of 2.5 GB, and it works like a charm. The key *is* to get matched sets always (and the right sort of memory for the technical needs of your machine of course!).

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
statuko

Do you have an idea for a good brand, Crucial, Wintec, Techworks?
My choice was Crucial (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin Dual Channel Kit Memory.
I found this http://macramdirect.com/macpro.html, what do you think ?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I will defer to current Mac Pro owners for their best advice.

Personally, I purchased Kingston memory for my machine, PC2 4200 DDR 533. However, I suspect a different spec set would apply to the Mac Pro. Since I don't own a Mac Pro, and memory is critical to performance, I won't speculate. Can a current owner chime in?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
lornegustafson

lornegustafson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.66gHz, 5gb RAM

As a new Mac user and MacPro owner running Photoshop CS2, I upgraded from the stock 2x512mb RAM with 2x1gb CRUCIAL chips and it came up without any problems whatsoever. I'd considered 2x2gb RAM but the price was more than I wanted to pay. There are still four slots to fill in the future when RAM prices may decrease.

I read about heat issues with RAM in these machines so I decided not to go with cheaper off-name chips. Even so, the CRUCIAL chips don't have heatsinks anything like the ones that came with the Mac RAM. I leave the machine on 24x7 and have had no visible problems with heat effects.

I also added three SATA 500gb hard drives to the existing 250gb and they were plug-n-play. I couldn't be more pleased. Since they were only $130 each, I decided to fill the bays and use two of them as mirrored RAID for our photo files.
QUOTE Thanks
seanarmenta

seanarmenta is on a distinguished road

i went with 4GB of OWC's modules -- great price and no problems whatsoever. they offer a rebate for the original apple modules that ship with your machine, but i decided to put the 1GB back in so i'm running 5 now. works great.
QUOTE Thanks
SunsetRoadzter

SunsetRoadzter will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD

I got my memory from newegg. I went witha brand called wintec they work fine for me. I have 10 GIG's installed. I can have a ton programs open and no slow down.

What is the distance between here and now anyway?:mac:

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3.5'' CD-Rom in slot drive? | 1.42GHz G4 vs 1.66 Intel CD »