New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Old G5 graphics card and 30-inch display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Umbro

Umbro is on a distinguished road

Hi there everybody,

I got a problem that hopefully someone hear can help me on,

I've got a Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30-inch Monitor arriving tomorrow morning but I think my G5's graphic card isn't up to the job for full resolution.
The card i have is the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra that came with the machine.
I've been trying to find a current upgrade card that's PCI-X rather than PCI-E of which there seems to be plenty.
So my question is does anybody know what card i need (i really haven't got a preference to make) thats going to run the 30" screen.

So far i've phoned Apple technical support, and to be honest for what help i got i might aswell of asked the bloke down the pub. I've tried an Apple reseller who told me she thought there was "a company called ATI or something that might make a card" so not much help there either.

I've tried Ebay for an second-hand card out of a machine that superseeded my model, no joy. And i've been googleing for about 48 hours and i've started getting the "are you still on that B*****y computer' looks from my wife.

I've included a screen shot of my G5's spec mines the 1.8GHz, the machine was bought in May 04

So any help would be gratefully received.
Attached Images
File Type: png screen.png (125.5 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Umbro

If it helps the dell monitor is exactly the same as the 30" cinema
QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

Your system has an AGP graphics card. A 5200FX won't even come close to driving that beast you've ordered.

The Radeon 9800 is your best bet. Its the best graphics card ever made for the G5. Other then that, its new computer time

EDIT - The reseller was right, that card is made by ATI. It is the strongest card manufactured for the AGP G5 line.
QUOTE Thanks
Umbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorwilsdon View Post
Your system has an AGP graphics card. A 5200FX won't even come close to driving that beast you've ordered.

The Radeon 9800 is your best bet. Its the best graphics card ever made for the G5. Other then that, its new computer time

EDIT - The reseller was right, that card is made by ATI. It is the strongest card manufactured for the AGP G5 line.
Thanks for the reply,

The screen came yesterday and the G5 looked looked awful on it, so i plugged
it into my 17" macbook pro and it looks the ducks nuts.

I spent yet another day trolling the web and phoning around, the card that got qouted was the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra Graphics Upgrade Kit.

Everyone i spoke to or looked at world wide are saying massive back-orders, no idea when they expect a shipment, most are quoting 1 month before anything is expected.

So having said all of that by 9pm last night the G5 was sold for cash thats going in the drawer awaiting the launch of the 8 core.

I must add how cool it is working in CS2 on 2 screens one 30" and one 17".

The 30" dell is better than i expected and with a higher contrast ratio of 1000:1 not the 700:1 of the cinema display and 950 as opposed to 1599 of the apple makes it even better
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Cinema Displays on PowerMac G5 | General Intel iMac Q »