New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Internal Hard Drive questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swags21

swags21 is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a macpro desktop and need to know what are my best options for buying a 500 gig or 750 gig internal hard drive. I have researched a little and found cheap Seagate and Hitachi hard drives, does anyone have any experience with these in their macpros?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
lornegustafson

lornegustafson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.66gHz, 5gb RAM

I bought three 500gb SATA2 drives for my MacPro for $130 each and couldn't be more pleased. I avoid Western Digital after two failed me early on. I bought a Seagate and two Maxtor drives (same company) due to their reputation and price.

They were all plug-n-play with no problems whatsoever. I opted to pair two of them as mirrored RAID for our photoshop files.
QUOTE Thanks
swags21

swags21 is on a distinguished road

Where did you buy your drives from? That sounds like a great price..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

newegg.com is always a good place for hardware and if not the best in price, they're always pretty close

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lornegustafson

lornegustafson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.66gHz, 5gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swags21 View Post
Where did you buy your drives from? That sounds like a great price..
I bought two Maxtor 500gb SATA drives for $129.99 each from eshop.macsales.com
QUOTE Thanks
musicforme

musicforme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram

While I haven't owned a Seagate hard drive in about 15 years, I hear they have the longest warranty at 5 years.

When the time comes for me to buy a hard drive in the future Seagate will be on my short list to consider.
QUOTE Thanks
seanarmenta

seanarmenta is on a distinguished road

i am running four 400 seagates and two raptors in mine all managed with softraid. everything is running cherry.

i have been using WD's for a long time with no problems whatsoever. i was unaware that so many people have been having WD woes, and a mac guru friend of mine suggested i give the barracudas a try. but i decided to also keep the raptors to boot off of. so far so good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how come on the 24 inch imac the videocard is weaker than the 17 and 20 inch models? | Major problem! »