Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Does a mini run Flight Simulator X, multitask well? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/56755-does-mini-run-flight-simulator-x-multitask-well.html)

markw10 03-18-2007 08:42 PM

Does a mini run Flight Simulator X, multitask well?

How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well? I know the CPU's in the mini are more limited than other Mac's and as well the graphics card isn't as good as the card in most imac's.
My needs are fairly basic, using word for word processing, dreamweaver for web design, web browsing in Safari, Parallels for Windows XP, and Illustrator and Photoshop for graphic design.
It isn't uncommon though for me to have 4 web pages open at a time while I have parallels running Quickbooks at the same time, Photoshop editing a picture, and dreamweaver open. I would definitely max out ram at at least 2 gigs.

cwa107 03-18-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw10 (Post 351973)
How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well? I know the CPU's in the mini are more limited than other Mac's and as well the graphics card isn't as good as the card in most imac's.
My needs are fairly basic, using word for word processing, dreamweaver for web design, web browsing in Safari, Parallels for Windows XP, and Illustrator and Photoshop for graphic design.
It isn't uncommon though for me to have 4 web pages open at a time while I have parallels running Quickbooks at the same time, Photoshop editing a picture, and dreamweaver open. I would definitely max out ram at at least 2 gigs.

The Mac mini is obviously the lowest end model Mac. It will likely run all of those applications together, but the speed at which you do so can be expected to be slower than a more powerful machine like the current model iMac.

As far as running Flight Simulator X, the Mac mini has integrated graphics which would not meet the minimum requirements for Flight Simulator X.

Screwball6986 03-18-2007 10:06 PM

FS X is probably the biggest CPU and GPU hog on the market, brand new $12,000 dual SLi machines can't even run it maxed out with framerates over 9

Aptmunich 03-19-2007 03:15 AM

The CPU isn't bad, but the slow graphics card will kill it... I doubt FS X will even start...

giulio 03-19-2007 08:17 AM

My biggest gripe about my macmini at work is the hard drive. It's a laptop hard drive. So it's slow. Using MenuMeters, I can see what is going on whenever the system hangs up. It's always the hard drive doing... god knows what... very slowly.
With 1GB ram, it does quite well. It's pretty rare that I fiil it, even when running photoshop and firefox. The CPU rarely gets pinned, unless firefox is hickping on something, or I'm actually doing something on the system to warrant the usage.
But it's the HD that sucks.

So if you'll be using a HD intensive program (like photoshop, streaming-world games, etc) I'd stay away from a mini.

My first post here, btw.

Amen-Moses 03-19-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw10 (Post 351973)
How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well?

It does wonderfully at multitasking but it won't run FS X, in fact neither will the MacBook.

My 4800x2 AMD monster with 512M 1950 GTX Gfx card and Vista Premium will only just run it at a reasonable framerate!

Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses 03-19-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giulio (Post 352241)
My biggest gripe about my macmini at work is the hard drive. It's a laptop hard drive. So it's slow. Using MenuMeters, I can see what is going on whenever the system hangs up. It's always the hard drive doing... god knows what... very slowly.
With 1GB ram, it does quite well. It's pretty rare that I fiil it, even when running photoshop and firefox. The CPU rarely gets pinned, unless firefox is hickping on something, or I'm actually doing something on the system to warrant the usage.
But it's the HD that sucks.

So if you'll be using a HD intensive program (like photoshop, streaming-world games, etc) I'd stay away from a mini.

My first post here, btw.

If you are brave enough you can stick a 5200 speed 160Gb hard drive in there, the difference is astonishing.

Amen-Moses