New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How do you send a FAX with an Intel iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeT

MikeT is on a distinguished road

On my older Windows computer I was able to hook a telephone cable to it to send or receive a FAX. For example I would type up a letter and then when I printed it, I would select FAX as the printer. When I hit print, a window would open and then I could type in the phone number and it would send the FAX. I was also able to receive a FAX with it if someone wanted to send me one.

I am sure this is possible with the imac but I am not sure how to. How is this done, both sending and receiving????
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

This is in the Mac Help files:

Sending a fax
You can fax files directly from your computer to any fax machine or computer that is set up to receive faxes. If your computer has a modem that is connected to a phone line, it is automatically configured to send faxes.

Choose File > Print, and then choose Fax PDF from the PDF pop-up menu.
Type the fax number in the To field, or click the Address Book button to the right of the To field to select a number.
If your phone system requires you to dial a prefix for an outside line, type it in the the Dialing Prefix field.
Make sure the correct modem is selected from the Modem pop-up menu.
To change your options, choose the option category from the Fax Cover Page pop-up menu. For example, to fax more than one copy of the document, choose Copies & Pages, and change the value in the Copies field.
Click Fax.
The fax is sent as soon as your modem is available. For example, if you're using your modem to connect to the Internet, the fax is sent after you disconnect from your Internet service provider.

If you want to paste a number into the To field and the Edit > Paste command is not available, Control-click the and choose Paste from the menu that appears.

To send a cover page with your fax, click the Use Cover Page checkbox, and then type a subject and message in the text boxes.

To choose your modem's behavior when faxing, choose Modem from the Fax Cover Page pop-up menu. You can choose whether to dial with touch tones or pulse tones, whether to listen to the modem as it dials, and whether to wait for a steady dial tone before dialing.

To send your fax at a later time, choose Scheduler from the Fax Cover Page pop-up menu and enter the time. Make sure your computer is on, is not in sleep mode, and is connected to your phone line at that time.

If you have a set of options that you frequently use, save it as a "preset." After you set your options, choose Save As from the Presets pop-up menu. To use this set of options when faxing another document, choose its name from the Presets pop-up menu

See also
Faxing
Print options
Open this for me
Address Book

If you click on the 'Faxing' link at the bottom then click on 'Setting up you Mac to receive Faxes' you should be right to go.

If you have any problems feel free to post back.
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Anyone ever try that who is on a voice over internet phone system?

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
MikeT

I have that voice over IP phone system. Is there a regular phone jack in the back of the imac?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

No, iMacs no longer have a built-in modem.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I have that voice over IP phone system. Is there a regular phone jack in the back of the imac?
You'd need this: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nMore=MA034Z/A

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

There is a much simpler option. There are numerous online web based services now that accept documents in standard formats and will fax them for you. FaxZero (http://faxzero.com/) is one such service which I have used. It is FREE for sending of faxes, although they do charge to set up a fax receipt service.

Using services like this means that any Mac anywhere has access to fax.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MikeT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
Man, that does seem expensive for that. I wonder if it could be had elsewhere for less. Radio Shack maybe? Is it just an adapter connector or a modem?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

It is the actual modem.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's this button on the side?! | I'm making the MAC switch! »