New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Prefs always reset to factory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ShawnaOB

ShawnaOB is on a distinguished road

I have a new-to-me iMac G3. I'm running 10.3.9 successfully, however every time I restart, the preferences reset back to factory settings. I can install updates & software, but I have to set it up each time I turn the thing on. If I change the desktop i.e. wall paper, it reverts back to the standard blue.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

Mine does the same thing, only the time is set back to 1969 when I unplug it from the wall... Anyone have any ideas?

It could be the battery, if they have one.
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

This site is your best bet:

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/

They have repair instructions for almost everything.

Edited to Add:

Except the iMac range!

Strangely I've tried looking around for instructions/guide for the iMac and they seem to have disappeared, I know they used to exist because I had to repair an eMac and used a guide from somewhere that also had the iMac ones.

Hmmm.

Anyhow you are probably correct in suspecting a battery replacement is in order and a few sites do list replacement parts for sale.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

This might help:

http://www.macfixitforums.com/printt...66&type=thread

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Sheehan

Sheehan is on a distinguished road

You can pick that battery up at Radio Shack as well. Should be lke $8. I had to replace the one in my G3 iMac about 6 months ago. I cant remember if the battery is accessable from the door on the bottom that lets you access ram or not. if it is not then you need to pull the back case off. pulling that case off is somewhat of a chore but the battery should be pretty easy to find once it is off. (looks like a AAA that got squished) ((also it might be purple))
QUOTE Thanks
ShawnaOB

OK!!.. i spent $35 on a battery..... it is still not saving my preferences.. it saved the time though... What do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Have you renamed your home folder? See the sig....
QUOTE Thanks
ShawnaOB

i fixed it myself... i reformated it and that took care of everything,, settings keep and so does time and date
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Who charged you $35 for a battery?
QUOTE Thanks
ShawnaOB

Yeah, I was ripped off for the battery...oh well, I know for the next time. The local Mac dealer in my area charged me $35 for the battery. They are notorious for over-charging people. I should have known not to go there. My fault.

I fixed my problem anyway. I've installed Tiger and everything is working wonderfully. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Sawtooth AGP - USB problem at startup / firmware | My new 20" iMac feels sluggish »