New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Power Mac G4 RAM Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevinc5680

kevinc5680 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB

I just want to make sure that I didn't get ripped off. I just bought a 128MB PC100 chip of RAM from someone and it is identical to the two I have that came factory loaded in my Powermac G4 AGP graphics. In my Powermac, I have two 128MB chips and they work fine. But when I added this third identical chip, I get a boot error when I power the system on. When I called the guy back, he said that these RAM chips only work in pairs. Now I've personally never experienced this issue with any PC100/133 RAM, but I just wanted to ask before I start pointing fingers. When I say this is identical, I mean it is the exact chip, company, everything. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

The following link tells you everything you need to know about upgrading the RAM in your G4:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58426

Quote:
The computer comes from Apple with one DIMM slot populated with a 128 MB DIMM. Additional DIMMs can be installed in any order, in any size. There is no performance benefit to matching DIMM sizes or installing them in pairs.
QUOTE Thanks
kevinc5680

kevinc5680 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz, 250GB Hard Drive, 4GB RAM, GeForce FX5200, iPhone 3G 8GB

Thanks Martin. I think that article tells me that I was ripped off. I figured as much, but I just wanted to ask before I pointed fingers. Thanks for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Yeah, although that RAM should work as it's acceptable for your G4, but it must meet these requirements:

PC-100 Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
3.3 volt
64-bit wide, 168-pin module
Maximum of 16 memory devices on the DIMM
Unbuffered; do not use registered or buffered Synchronous DRAM (SDRAM)
Maximum height of 2.0 inches.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Hi Pulse-8, I have the same Mac. Would this one work?

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-512MB-PC13...5932991&sr=8-1

or, any of these?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/...2&Go.y=9&Go=Go

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Never mind. I figured it out a while back.

http://www.allmemoryupgrades.com/pc133sdram.html

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Question and New to forum | iMac or MacBook (long) »