New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - keyboard problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Onno3

Onno3 is on a distinguished road

I've had my new Imac for about 2 months, and I'm having problems with the keyboard. Certain keys keep repeating, though I'm a good typist and have never had this problem before. It happens even if I turn 'repeat' off in system preferences. I've even had the keyboard replaced by Apple, but this problem persists. I understand that this is an issue with the Imac. Is there a solution? Will a wireless keyboard solve this?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

have u tried plugging the keyboard in all the different USB ports on ur iMac? and try running a hardware scan and repair disk permissions..

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
Onno3

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf1899 View Post
have u tried plugging the keyboard in all the different USB ports on ur iMac? and try running a hardware scan and repair disk permissions..

I'll try this, but I have no idea why this would make a difference. Surely the problem is in the keyboard? Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Onno
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

As far as I know you don't have to use an Apple keyboard. If after you have done the above you still have the problem. Try a non Apple keyboard to see if that helps
QUOTE Thanks
Onno3

I could buy a non-Apple keyboard. But why isn't Apple fixing this problem? My computer is only a couple of months old. In every other way it is brilliant and I'm very happy with it. But multiple repeating keys is a serious annoyance, and there's clearly a real problem here. I wish it were being addressed some way by Apple.

Onno
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I suggest not buying a new keyboard but surely you could borrow one to see if the keyboard is the source of your problem

If it's only a few months old Ring Apple get another new one
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Are you up to date? One of the software updates fixed keyboard problems a while back.

What software is the problem occurring in? Everything?
QUOTE Thanks
Onno3

Yes, I am up to date. Auto update is on, and I've tried manually updating as well. Is there a specific patch I should look for?

The problem occurs in just about every program, so far as I can tell--Word, Eudora, Safari.

Thanks,
Onno
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

as others have said check the keyboard in another USB port or try a different keybored. if not ring apple or take it in.,
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes that keyboard is still under warranty so take it back to Apple and ask for a replacement.

I think others suggested to try another keyboard to see if the problem lies with the USB port or with the keyboard, not that you buy a new one to replace the seemingly faulty one that came with your Mac.

It's just a basic troubleshooting procedure, eliminating hardware components and stuff. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
Onno3

I've replaced the keyboard already, and the problem persists, as I said in my initial post. This is why I'm confused. It could be a persistant keyboard problem, or a software problem. I've tried different USB ports. I've turned off the repeating key feature in system preferences. None of this makes any difference. Has anybody else had this problem? Has anyone else solved it?

Thanks,
Onno
QUOTE Thanks
lars667

lars667 is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue with my new iMac 24". It seems like it's a physical property of the keyboard to me, as if the keys wobbles slightly, making contact twice when you really push the button only once. Or something. I thought I'd get used to it, but... maybe not?
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

If you want an alternative to the Apple keyboard the Macally IceKey is excellent. It has scissor-switch keys with very little travel, and is a joy to use. It doesn't come in wireless flavour, but is well worth that extra cable.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about RAM... | I'm confused! Need help from anyone Please~ »