New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Just need a little help for the switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weebles

Weebles is on a distinguished road

Well I'm going to take the plunge into the mac world in a few weeks. I'm only 17 so don't have too much money to blow on it so I'll be getting the 17" 2.0 Ghz model. I'll be adding an extra gig of ram with 2x 1Gb sticks, as I've heard matching sticks are always better. Would this give me a good amount of power to play with if I'm running Garageband, iTunes, Firefox, and a few other programs going simultaneously?

I plan on buying from best buy since the closest apple store is a good hour away, and I just have a quick question about that. On their website, Future Shop, has a deal to get a free printer with the purchase of an iMac. If I went to Best Buy what are the chances of me mooching a free printer off them too? Anyone ever do this? Having any good old bargaining tips for me?

Thanks for any help, I'm sure I'll be on here quite often in about a month or so with a bunch more stupid questions. Again thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
viridian

viridian has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor

Best Buy is the spawn of Satan and will never give stuff for free without a catch. Plus they will try to upsell you like there was no tomorrow. Buy through Apple directly and use the student discount. But, you must be a college student so if you have an older sibling or cousin just use his/her school. And watch out for online scams. Many shopping.com, bizrate.com, etc. stores are fake and are indentity theives, they will advertise a really low price for a product have you order it, and steal your credit card number, name, address, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Student discount FTW. Buy direct from apple.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I would definitely recommend buying online or at the Apple store as you can get a much better deal than at Best Buy because of the student discount. This is especially important when you're on a much more limited budget.

As for upgrading your RAM, it's well known that the more RAM you have the better. However, since 2GB can be a bit costly, give your 1GB a run before upgrading. If you feel as though it's not enough, then go ahead and upgrade. This way you won't waste money when you were only browsing the web and listening to music.
QUOTE Thanks
viridian

viridian has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
Student discount FTW. Buy direct from apple.
Yes, there is student discount the link is on the right hand side towards the bottom of the store page of Apple.com. The discount will give you anywhere from $20-$200 off but does not apply to iPods but to everything else on the site.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

That sucks, they used to have the education discount for iPods....neye:
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Hav eyou also considered getting a refurbished model direct from the Apple site? Many people have bought these and been happy, and some even come with extra RAM (although you do not know until you get it.)

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
Weebles

Alright thanks for the quick replies guys. Maybe I will head on over to the closest apple store then. I don't mind buying it non-refurbed because I only need about $300 more. I'm still in high school, so can I still get the student discount? Also I live in Canada so does the student discount stuff still apply here on location in an apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
Weebles

Well I guess you don't get a discount if you're in high school, according to the apple website. If I'm not looking for a printer is there really a difference from buying at the apple store or best buy/future shop?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

If you can't get a student discount and aren't interested in a printer, then no, there's really no difference in terms of price. Only real difference I could see is the stock and availability of specific models.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Weebles

Alright well it looks like I'm buying at Best Buy because I don't think I"ll be able to drive for an hour while knowing I have my iMac in the trunk. A five minute drive will be much better. Thanks for all the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« KVM switch troubles | How do you (re)mount the DVD drive? »