New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - PCI SATA card conflict

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnloomis

johnloomis is on a distinguished road

Hi all --

I'm looking for some help regarding a problem that I ran into today when I was trying to install a new FirmTek eSATA 2-port adapter into my 1.8 G5. Once I installed the PCI card into one of the 2 open slots on my machine, I booted like normal and was prompted to initialize the new HD's (400GB Seagates) in my new FirmTek 2EN2 enclosure. Upon opening disk utility I immediately noticed that something was wrong - 3 of my other HDs (installed internally using the SwiftData 200 system) were completely missing. The 3 other HD's are all Hitachi drives. (The 4th drive in my SwiftData 200 system was showing up, and it was in the lower "B" slot just under the main G5 HD).

Prior to the installation today everything was working great. After seeing the problem I retraced my steps and un-installed the new FirmTek PCI card, hoping to find that the other drives would go back to mounting just like normal. Nope. I've still only got 2 drives mounting.

Any ideas what happened? Are there known conflicts between the two SATA cards mounted together. Is mounting 2 different SATA PCI cards not kosher in general? Did I fry one controller card by installing the new one?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks and Best,
- John
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgradable imac | My G5 Quad Processor sounds like a server »