New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Thinking of adding RAM - one question 1st

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hey guys,

My iMac currently has 1GB RAM (2X512 modules). I'm still loving it but was thinking of giving it a boost by adding another 1GB memory.

However, when I look at the system profiler it shows that I have 2 modules already installed. One on bank 0 and one on bank 1 (see attached image).

I was just wondering if I will have space to add another 1GB module without having to take any out?

Also, I know that some motherboards, when the RAM is full reduce the overall operating speed of the RAM. Is this true in the iMac's case?

Regards,

Chris :mac:
Attached Images
File Type: png iMac_Memory_Details.png (70.6 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

ideally, you should add two matched sticks in the two slots you have (i'm 99% sure you only have two). you could add one 1G stick in place of one of your 512 sticks, but you will most likely only see speed increases in non-graphics intensive programs. graphics intensive programs for some reason like matched pairs.

there are a few threads about this matching phenomenon - i'll try to dig one up.

edit
here's one: RAM Question: Identical Sticks or Mismatched Sticks?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Thanks for the input,

I will consider this. But the "Bank 0" - does that mean that the 512 Module on that bank is soldered to the motherboard?

Also, If I were to get more memory from a different retailer than Apple, say Crucial. Would it affect my Apple Care at all?

Regards,

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

no, memory banks typically start at 0.
it's just two dimms in two slots.

installing memory should not void your warranty at all - it's considered user serviceable.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

I see,

Thanks again, I may consider buying the following:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...5FD16EA5CA7304
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i'm considering doing the same with my macbook (1Gb to 2Gb) - might make up for the lack of dedicated graphics.

QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Well I use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver a lot and edit the odd movie now and then. My iMac is by no means slow, and I know that at present Photoshop is running through Rosetta (so are Flash and Dreamweaver I think?) but I figured that extra RAM can't be a bad thing either way!

Is Crucial a half decent make to go with? I have used them when system building in the past but I have never upgraded memory on a Mac before.

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

whew. you'll get a lot of different answers - just search memory on these forums, there's lots of threads with personal accounts of a bunch of different outlets (crucial is certainly fine though).

QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure iMacs come with two 512gb sticks. If you want to upgrade to 2gb you have to ditch the existing RAM. Try selling it on eBay; that's what I did when I upgraded my mini.

Check it out: http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/ne...ever-01271218/

I've bought several lots of RAM from Crucial in the past; always very good.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.

Hello,

Great topic, I have been considering purchasing the 2GB single stick of RAM however I find the price offputting to say the least. Is there any other UK sites that offer 2GB RAM single stick at a cheaper price? At present I only have 1GB in my 20" iMac Core 2 Duo(I assume it has 2x512MB sticks inside?)

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

I have made my purchase! Yey, lol

I have gone for 2GB (2X1GB) Crucial Modules.

Can't wait to get them in my iMac now! I hope its a noticeable speed difference.

I will post a mini-review of the advantages of an extra 1GB RAM once I have installed it and had a play around if it will be useful to anyone.

As I said before, I will be using programs like Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, garage band and video editing now and then.

Regards,

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« newbie: iMac vs PC | Screen off? »