Arrow Flat Panel iMac G4 - What to do?
    Hi guys. I'm a PC owner and always have been since MS DOS but recently I have been given free of charge a Flat Panel iMac G4 - Thats what I guess it is the current owner (my girlfriends mum) doesn't know what it is herself and bought it about 2 years ago because it looks pretty! :bone: Mac users pah! lol

But joking aside I've seen it myself and from doing a bit of research and looking at pictures online I've deduced it's a Flat Panel iMac G4. I admit it looks pretty sweet but I've not really used macs before, although we've got them at University I tend to stick to the windows machines.

Anyway, I do a lot of web design and Photoshop etc. They urged us in the graphic design dept. of my Uni to use Macs but when I retreat to the more techy side I get pushed to the PC's. I would like to utilize the mac, as its a free tool and also supposed to kick *** with photoshop, and video editing (which I'm just getting into) etc. Maybe it could take some workload off my PC, I use my PC for everything image editing Photoshop, web design, gaming, listening to music, got a 5.1 surround hooked up to my room all corners, its nice! I use the PC for it all really.

My PC is a Celeron 2.8Ghz with 2GB of RAM running a Radeon x1600Pro AGP card and a very nice 19" LCD screen Nothing special by all means and Not very powerful but it's all I can afford at the moment before an upgrade, maybe in about a year from now, but for now It's great and I love it.

So...

Should I use the Mac? If so what for? (i've got the room for it) I have a router with space to plug in an extra computer - will the Mac network with the PCs?

Or...

Should I just sell it?
    :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Olly.

Potential new mac user in the UK

Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    I think that currently your PC sounds like it would be much better for the task. Maybe if you added lots of Ram to the iMac it would be a different story. That imac I think uses pc 133 sodimms, which are old so you might be able to get some extra ram somewhat cheap. You should at least try the G4 iMac and see if you like it if you have the room for it. But spec wise your current PC is better.
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

Could you try and list some quick specs on the iMac.

Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    Click on the apple on the top left corner and click "about this mac" tell us what you see...
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    You could always sell it on eBay for a tidy amount as well...

Arrow
    Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know as soon as I get it, I was meant to get it today but been busy so it looks like I'll be collecting it Sunday. I'll let you all know the exact specs then and Jonnyfive thanks for letting me know how to do this quickly

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Anyway, I do a lot of web design and Photoshop etc. They urged us in the graphic design dept. of my Uni to use Macs
    You need to get using Macs if you want a job in the design field. There's more to just using Photoshop in the real world, and a couple of years of Mac experience is a huge advantage when it comes to applying for jobs.

Right sorry for the huge delay, the Full Technical Specs are:

CPU: PowerPC 7455

CPU Speed: 800 MHz

FPU: integrated

Bus Speed: 100

Data Path: 64 bit

ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM

RAM Type: PC133

Minimum RAM Speed: 166

Onboard RAM: 0 MB

RAM Slots: 2

Maximum RAM: 1 GB

Level 1 Cache: 32 KB data, 32kb instruction

Level 2 Cache: 256 KB on-chip, 1:1

System Software: 10.2.3 Ä 10.2.4

Screen: 15

Video Card: NVidia GeForce2 MX

VRAM: 32MB

Maximum Resolution: 24 bit 1024x768

Optical Drive: 32x/32x/10x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM or 32x/16x/8x/8x/4x CD-RW/DVD-RW - not sure yet

Hard Disk: 60GB 7200 RPM

ATA Bus: ATA-66

Ethernet: 10/100Base-T

USB: 3

FireWire: 2

Video Out: VGA, mirror only

Audio Out: stereo 16 bit mini, Pro Speaker

Audio In: stereo 16 bit mini

Speaker(s): mono

Microphone: mono

Modem: 56 kbps

AirPort: available on 800 MHz model <-mine

Gestalt ID: 406

Power: 130 Watts

Weight: 21.2 lbs.

Dimensions: 13.03" H x 15.1" W x 10.6" D

So, is it up to much or shall i send it farewell on eBay?

Thread Information