New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to recognice an motherboard imac 350 from a 400

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

claudio

I need to know how can I tell the difference from a motherboard with a 350 CPU and one with a 400 CPU.

The problem I have is that I think my motherboard is dead and I'm looking for replacements.

I Found a motherboard that could be a 400 but its really suspicious....

a) The number is XXX -1131 -a the first nummbers could be 820
b) is HAS an external monitor conector
c) has not Firewire connectors.

As far as I know all 400 have fire wire but none 350s have external monitor conector....

What is it then....

I send a foto as attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imac-board.jpg (311.9 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

you may wanna e-mail these specs to an Apple store. Not many Mac users know this much about hardware service.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio
I need to know how can I tell the difference from a motherboard with a 350 CPU and one with a 400 CPU.

The problem I have is that I think my motherboard is dead and I'm looking for replacements.

As far as I know all 400 have fire wire but none 350s have external monitor conector....

What is it then....

I thought most (if not all) G3 iMacs had VGA connectors for external monitors...they're just usually hidden beneath some plastic panels.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

oh, and w/o FireWire, it sounds like a 350 mobo.
QUOTE Thanks
claudio

But thats the weird thing, cause ALL the 350s that I've seen DON'T have external VGA connector......

Does someone has a 350 mobo WITH external VGA?
The Seller says he ripped it of an imac....maybe he could tell me the numbers in the sticker under the imac..... that'll be the best way......If he sends them
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamorro
I thought most (if not all) G3 iMacs had VGA connectors for external monitors...they're just usually hidden beneath some plastic panels.
The external VGA port was not added to iMacs until the DV editions came out in late 1999.
After that, pretty much all iMacs had them. It is located behind a removable panel on the back.
You can check all the specs on iMacs on Apple's site

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
The external VGA port was not added to iMacs until the DV editions came out in late 1999.
After that, pretty much all iMacs had them. It is located behind a removable panel on the back.
You can check all the specs on iMacs on Apple's site
That's funny...my Rev A has got one!
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudio

What is it then....

The memory slots are for 168 pin chips introduced with the slot-loading iMacs. So, you are right that you are looking at either a 350 board w/ vga or a 400 board w/o firewire. Either way you are right to be suspicious. IMO - Unless you can get a clear identification wait for another one.

Badger
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

In checking further I found some more info that may help: The 350 slot-loading iMacs had a VLSI chip, the one in the photo has a Lucent chip; the 400 sl-iMacs had two different motherboards. The early model had the firewire ports on a small, removable board and it had a central-mounted daughter board, the later board had the firewire ports on the main board and did not have a daughter board. My educated guess is that the picture is an early 400 board missing the firewire and daughter cards. I got this info from an Apple service manual I found at: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optimising G4 for video/post production | iMac G3 not starting up »