New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Ethernet Problems On G4 Imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tom_tom84

tom_tom84 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am having problems connecting to LAN and Internet using both DHCP and Manual IP configs. I pulled the ethernet cable from another mac that was online and on the network then straight into the Imac and it's not working. It goes on momentarily then off and then between very limited, and no connection at all.

If I open safari it doesn't show the "not connected" dialog, the connection is showing up as active with all green lights in the network wizard. It appears it is receiving very limited connection as the name of the website appears on the top of the browser window but none of the content is showing correctly. This is the same on different sites. I have no network functionality at all.

All the info is correct including DNS servers etc in network prefs.

All replys would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

What kind of Mac do you have? I had this problem initially with my PowerMac G5. It has two LAN ports on the back, and I was plugged into the wrong one. Any chance that this could be your problem? I know that this is an iMac and Mini forum, but I have to ask just in case this has been posted in the wrong forum.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
tom_tom84

tom_tom84 is on a distinguished road

Yes I have experienced this with G5's myself as well.

Unfortunately this is not going to be so easy! The computer I am having problems with is an Imac G4 700mhz.

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

OK then, lets dig in a little. What does the Network preferences panel show? Are you getting a valid IP address? Do you appear to have DNS servers set up? Has a gateway address been provided?

Do you have any content blocking software installed?

Using Terminal.app, can you type this in:

ping www.google.com

and get a response? If you do, your connectivity and your DNS are all set up right and we are looking at a web browser issue of some sort.

By the way, does your problem resolve itself if you turn your firewall off briefly?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 Mac 2.0GHz (model M9590LL/A) or Mac Mini (1.66 or 1.83 GHz) | Imac LCD Question »