New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - G5 Mac 2.0GHz (model M9590LL/A) or Mac Mini (1.66 or 1.83 GHz)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zuly

Zuly is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am still a creature from the PC world so a bit of a Mac noob. I am going to jump into the Mac world so looking for advice. I am considering either the G5 Mac (model M9590LL/A) or the Mac Mini. I found a comparison review (link below), but its from (March '06). I've been told the G5 is a bit dated and to go with the MacMini instead. I can get a good deal on the M9590LL/A, comparable in price to the MacMini. Grateful if anyone can comment further.

.Hardware size is not much of an issue for me. I just want to make sure I pick the best unit in regards to specs, support, etc. I plan on using the Mac mainly for games for the kids, music and video editing. Unfortunately I need to keep my IBM for work related causes.

Thanks in advance. Cheers...//DZ

http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardwar...06/3_18a.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Can you post the specs for the prospective G5? If it is a PowerMac G5 of a recent vintage, you may find it to be a lot more powerful than a Mini.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Zuly

Hi Mac57,

the basic specs I have are:

PM G5 2G/512MB/160GB/SD/ENG

Sounds a bit cryptic, but thats the spec I got from a company I deal with.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

The computer you listed will be alot faster than the mini. Its a dual 2.0ghz G5 PowerMac. Includes 512MB of RAM, 160GB HD, a Superdrive, and english keyboard, based on the specs you gave.

I would get that computer if you can afford it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

...what StretchR said! Go with the G5. It will be much more powerful.

Now you may be thinking "but wait a minute, the G5 is dead ended hardware! Why would I buy dead ended hardware?". This couldn't be farther from the truth. What is the expected service life of the average home/office computer? Less than five years. I *guarantee* that over the next 5 year period, all new software wil come out as Universal Binaries, which means support for both Power PC chip and Intel chip architectures. For validation of this assertion, look to history - Apple's last core transition, from Motorola 68K to PPC. For the expected lifetime of the new computer you are now contemplating buying, you can expect to have access to every existing title that is out there now (without Rosetta interpretation) *and* access to any new titles you may wish to buy.

So, in conclusion.... what StretchR said! :dive:

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Zuly

StretchR, mac57, many thanks for the feedback.

Cheers...//DZ
QUOTE Thanks
Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

' In Performance the Power Mac Dual Core G5 /2.0 GHz is ....

Processor Single - 17% faster
Processor Dual - 16% faster
Graphics Card - 163% faster
Graphics Processor - 6% faster
Graphics Gaming - 200% faster
Copy (many files) - 59% faster
Copy (Single large file) - 27% faster

Photoshop Filters (Dual Tuned) - 376% faster
Photoshop Filters - 141% faster
Photoshop Workflow - 194% faster'

Should have read the article.

But anyway - go for the G5 because its altogether better. Its sexier. Its 64-Bit (whereas the Mini is NOT). The G5 has way better upgrade ability.

However I'm not sure what sort of games your thinking of, but if you need to use Windows at all you will need to get the mini, unless you emulate XP under OS X on the G5.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Gav, excellent information. Could you post a link to the source? I would love to read it! Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Gav, excellent information. Could you post a link to the source? I would love to read it! Thanks!
It's the link from the first post

Zuly -

If the ability to run windows is not a big deal I'd definitely go with the iMac. It is a much more robust and powerful machine. Heck, I still use two g4s and a g3! and I'm getting along just fine!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks Bill_Gates (sheesh, that feels strange to say! :dive: )

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro Questions | Ethernet Problems On G4 Imac »