New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Upgrading OS on G3 iMac...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pod

pod will become famous soon enough

A friend has a G3 iMac; 600mhz, 512mb ram. It is bootable between OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.1. Up until now they've been happy with OS9 but now want to use the OSX. Is the software upgrade to 10.3.9 free, or do you have to purchase it? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
A friend has a G3 iMac; 600mhz, 512mb ram. It is bootable between OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.1. Up until now they've been happy with OS9 but now want to use the OSX. Is the software upgrade to 10.3.9 free, or do you have to purchase it? Thanks
They will have to pay for an upgrade to 10.3.x

I would recommend they actually upgrade to Tiger, rather than Panther because Apple have a history of only supporting the current and previous version of the OS, so with Leopard imminent, Panther might find itself quickly unsupported.

Having said that, if they've been happy using OS 9 all this time, OS X 10.3 might do fine.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

Thanks zoolook... would the G3 iMac (spec above) be able to handle Tiger? The iMac will only be used for emailing/surfing/itunes/msn.
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

Based on my recent experience with a G3 iMac with only 333 Mhz, I can say with certainty that it will be able to handle Panther. I do all of those things with my old iMac and, with a few performance tweaks, it runs great. I can't really say if Tiger will run since I haven't tried it, but Panther will for sure.
QUOTE Thanks
xxboomer408xx

xxboomer408xx is on a distinguished road

Can you go on youtube and watch videos without them being choppy? becuase I cant on my G3. It's a 500mhz with 256mb of ram and an 80gb hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Tiger runs fine on an old G3. I installed it one of our machines the other week - it works with no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxboomer408xx View Post
Can you go on youtube and watch videos without them being choppy? becuase I cant on my G3. It's a 500mhz with 256mb of ram and an 80gb hard drive.
One thing needs to be said here: you will need to add lots more RAM so you can enjoy your user experience. Otherwise it'll either lag and drag crazily for the most mundane tasks or it'll crash when it won't be able to answer demands by apps or the system.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
One thing needs to be said here: you will need to add lots more RAM so you can enjoy your user experience. Otherwise it'll either lag and drag crazily for the most mundane tasks or it'll crash when it won't be able to answer demands by apps or the system.
Actually I have a 333mhz with the same ram. And apart from movies (youtube included and a big offender) my machine still purs along. Sure it lags a little when I use photoshop with 5 or 6 other apps running. But on the whole it runs great. And I've had like one app crash each 6 months at most. But I will say more ram will make the machine so much more a joy to use. That's why I'm soon upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Geforce 7300 and Dvi -> Video adapter.. | Need some advice for a video card »