New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - vibrations and buzz from mac pro?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

Has anyone else got the problem of a really annoying buzz and vibration from their mac pros? Its the hard disk drive 'holder' bit inside, and it's really really annoying! Just wondering if anyone had a solution - im gonna shove in some cardboard! Is this common?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Has anyone else got the problem of a really annoying buzz and vibration from their mac pros? Its the hard disk drive 'holder' bit inside, and it's really really annoying! Just wondering if anyone had a solution - im gonna shove in some cardboard! Is this common?
No, I've never had a vibration problem with the hard disk. However, I have had some excessive vibration when using certain optical discs. This might be due to an imbalance in the disc itself or stick-on labels. Are you sure it's your hard disk that is causing the vibration? They are typically well-dampened. If it truly is the hard disk, I would sooner replace that disk then attempt to wedge pieces in. If it's vibrating like that, I'd imagine you're looking at a potential failure.
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

It's not a new problem, others have had it too. When i added 3 more drives to my system i noticed i was getting the same thing. You might take the cover off and start the system and when you hear the noise reach in and touch/press against each drive and see if you can get it to stop.

What i ended up doing was taking some heavy paper and wedging in in place and it stopped it altogether for me. Evidently a slight design flaw in the mounting of the drives.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Cam

Cam is an unknown at this point

It is definately from the h/d cradle thingy, you push it it stops. Looks like I'll be going with the paper shoved in technique. As for a failure, yeah - I've never noticed any real vibration from hard disks in the past, but then they're always screwed in to a metal chassis on pc's, and just click in on macs (I assume, thats what it looks like anyway). Sometimes Apple are to poncy for their own good - I want function first!!
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Ya, just wedge the paper in the right place where the vib stops, works fine for me and i did it about 4 months ago, hasn't done it since. It didn't do it when i just had the one drive in, but after adding 3 other drives i started hearing it. Guess they made something just a bit to thin or something in the mounts.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel mini's, ram upgrade | "slimming down" os x for use on my old imac »